“Not as good as I expected”

Belvedere Palace Museum
Book In Advance
More Info
US$97,52*
and up
Gustav Klimt Vienna Combo: Belvedere Palace and...
Ranked #4 of 817 things to do in Vienna
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The two Belvedere palaces were built in the early eighteenth century by the famous Baroque architect Johann Lucas von Hildebrandt to be used as the summer residence of Prince Eugene of Savoy (1663–1736). One of Europe’s most stunning Baroque landmarks, this ensemble – comprising the Upper and Lower Belvedere and an extensive garden – is listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Today the Belvedere houses the greatest collection of Austrian art dating from the Middle Ages to the present day, complemented by the work of international artists such as Claude Monet, Vincent van Gogh, and Max Beckmann. Highlights from the holdings Vienna 1880–1914 are the world’s largest collection of Gustav Klimt’s paintings (including the famous golden Art Nouveau icons the Kiss (Lovers) and Judith) and works by Egon Schiele and Oskar Kokoschka. Key works of French Impressionism and the greatest collection of Viennese Biedermeier art are further attractions on display at the Upper Belvedere.
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

First the place was really big and had a lot of walking to do.There was the upper Belvedere and the lower Belvedere. I was so tired from the upper Belvedere that I couldn’t even go to the lower one. What a waste of money. Luckily I realized that by the lower Belvedere there was a little café but, the service was horrible. I have to say that the gelato was good. Also they had a special exhibit for Gustav Klimt’s artwork. We paid extra money (20euro) to see his artwork. I was disappointed by the fact that everyone was allowed to see it and again another big waste of money. I came with a group of seven people. Behind the upper Belvidere, there was a garden it made me sad about the fact that I have a nicer looking backyard. All the flowers were dead and the grass and bushes were unevenly cut which made it look sloppy and unprofessional I was looking forward to seeing the “majestic” looking yard, But it was a failure. I went with kids and more than half of the artwork was unspeakably inappropriate. It is not worth it to take tours. The wait would’ve been around 1 to 2 hours. I was extremely disappointed with my visit there and would not come back.

Write a ReviewReviews (13 823)
All reviews
"judith"
in 104 reviews

51 - 55 of 13 823 reviews

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

We truly enjoyed our visit to the Belvedere palace it is a place with art displayed and in particular Klimt. Start with the upper palace and walk all the rooms to see the change in art over the years. Also be sure to read about the Austrian artists who left during WWII.

The building itself is a piece of art so remember to look at the ceilings and fixtures

The lower palace holds special exhibits and some Klimt

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

We only viewed the gardens and they were nothing special. Only the water features were of any interest.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

This was my second visit to the palace and just as enjoyable as before. Highly recommend as a must when visiting Vienna. Lovely gardens and beautiful art collection. Food in the cafe was terrible and massively overpriced so avoid that. Tip: there's a supermarket opposite the entrance buy a picnic!!

1  Thank Julia B