“Excellent and quite genuine ”
Review of by Chi

by Chi
Ranked #768 of 4 740 Restaurants in Vienna
Cuisines: Asian, Vietnamese
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Leopoldstadt
Reviewed 11 June 2018 via mobile

We strolled down the street from the Mercure and looked at the menu and smelt the food as it was carried past and decided to try it out.

Very good service and a non-rotgut Vietnamese whisky available. Spices reasonably subdued as they generally are in HCM and surrounds but lots of coriander and basil with the noodles and vegetables. Some of the dishes marked as containing gluten can be had gluten free and the spring rolls were excellent with a very good sauce. The other dishes used, as I had hoped, lots of ' nuoc cham' and were excellent.

The only odd thing was that chopsticks were supplied and that I can't remember seeing in Vietnam.

Reviewed 18 December 2017 via mobile

We ordered 5 different dishes :the ingredients were really fresh but nothing I tried was close to what I used to eat in Vietnam . A lot of vegetables but no flavor ,no spices,my soup was....water with chopped veggies swimming inside .since we stepped inside nobody really welcomed us,nobody laughed at all.the lady owner was particularly rude,very aggressive :she tried to convince me in Vietnam the cuisine is just like this.very annoying though.i asked if she could help me choosing the best dish in the Vietnamese menu they had pretending not to know about Asia (spent like 10 of my winter times around)and she answered me NOODLES(!!)for sure the most unfriendly Vietnamese behave I experienced in my life. Maybe was the wrong day for them but the place was empty and they could just serve us better. Vietnam cuisine is supreme, but not there for sure.sure good enough for people who never are abroad.

Reviewed 20 July 2017

We fancied Asian food, with some variety and decent prices near our hotel and we got it. The staff is attentive, service is fast the menu caters to the meat lovers and vegans in our family. Allergens well indicated for each menu item (as has been the case in other restaurants so far in Vienna, a real help). The portions are reasonable and ingredients seem fresh (I had fish with rice noodles and fish is not something you can disguise freshness of easily in a non spicy dish like the one I chose). I took some takeaway back to the hotel. Locals seem to go here. There is a terrace as well. The inside is not big and decor is plain, but it's just what we needed after a long day of sight seeing.

Reviewed 19 July 2017 via mobile

Since we were looking for an affordable restaurant close to our hotel - the Mercure Wien City - we found this Vietnamese one.
Of course we looked at some reviews on TA and Yelp and decided to give it a try.
We had some spring rolls the start (the hot version), some Bun Bo kind of dish and some fried rice with chicken and veggies.
All very tasty, well seasoned. Good size portion. Price for the starter was about 5€ and for the mains between 11.50€ and 13€.
Would recommend if you stay in the neighborhood and like Vietnamese food.

Reviewed 28 April 2017

Have you ever been to Vietnam ? No ? Do you want to know how Vietnamese cuisine tastes ? Yes ?. Go to "by Chi" They say in the Menu that they use a lot of fresh herbs and spices.
Yes, they do. and yes, you can taste them..... very well cooked and prepared. I had the„Hu tieu xao“ with prawns spicy and very delicious. The restaurant is not very big, the furniture practical and you can see that the kitchen is great , as on a Wednesday Lunchtime it was full. The Service is very friendly and helpful , also by explaining the dishes. So if you like Asian food but want to have something different to the usual, go there and enjoy genuine Vietnamese cuisine.