“a must see”

Ranked #25 of 835 things to do in Vienna
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Europe's second largest cemetery marks the final resting place for over 2.5 million people, including Beethoven, Brahms, Schubert and Strauss.
Reviewed 28 June 2018 via mobile

Quite an unusual sight seeing destination, but a must if you are interested in how the viennese celebrate the end of life. There are impressive graveyards commissioned even for those who are stil alive. There are several high profiled people burried, most famous now Udo Jürgens. The gravestone, a white piano, was built by his brother. And there is always a story to each grave which can be told.
The best way to see it, is a guided tour, which is only available every friday.

There are also sections on site which touch your heart and you can‘t do anything about it: children born dead.

If you are in Vienna, try to spend an afternoon here and explore either with a tour (fridays) or the app.

3  Thank SFH75x
Write a ReviewReviews (1 399)
All reviews
"tombstones"
in 31 reviews

16 - 20 of 1 399 reviews

Reviewed 26 June 2018

First of all I do want to say that the workers were very helpful. They emailed me right away with the location numbers of my relatives. I did have a question about the location of one of them and came when their office is closed during lunch. The woman working there was nice enough to still help me.

Why 3 stars? Although beautiful and calm to me, 2 (that I know of) relatives of mine are buried in the old Jewish section by Gate 1. That section is heavily neglected. I went to find my relatives but nearly all the tombstones are broken, cracked, and have writing that you cannot even read. You would think that the city would try to put effort into it since well...Hitler. It's like they just don't care.

I did go to view a more recent relative by Gate 4 (fled Austria during the holocaust and even though he lost most of his/my family, his wish was to be buried in Vienna. That was kept in fairly good condition (my grandmother is spending $$$ to make sure it's okay).

I didn't see the cemetery bus when I was there. I just took the tram 71 and 6 to get me from 1 gate to the other from outside the cemetery.

Clean bathrooms, and plenty of benches.

I cried looking at the tombstone of one of my relatives even though I never knew him. He saved my grandmother during the Holocaust which is the reason I am even here. Viewing things like this does bring up all emotions in you that you don't even know you have :(

3  Thank gafiltafish
Reviewed 24 June 2018

We always visit the cemeteries in the countries that we visit. Cemeteries can give a tremendous amount of history or insight about a city or country and the Zentralfriedhof of Vienna did not disappoint. The majority of the cemetery is beautifully maintained but like all large cemeteries, there are some overgrown areas but those only lend a charming air to it. It was very convenient to get there by train (or tram) as there is a stop right outside the main gate. It was interesting to find that there were restrooms scattered around the cemetery which made it very easy to have a longer visit. Also interesting to see were the buses which made stops throughout the cemetery and the number of people who used the grounds for exercise either by bicycling or running. It was nice to see that people actually enjoyed the cemetery like a park which removes the spooky or sad impression people have of cemeteries. We like to visit them to see the history and to pay respect to those who have passed. Lovers of classical music will love to see the burial places of many music composers. Beautiful cemetery - one of the best we have visited in Europe.

1  Thank swtraveler15
Reviewed 22 June 2018 via mobile

We visited the cemetery using the number 6 tram which stops outside. It's a huge place but there is a bus which goes around if you need it. There are separate sections for different religions and denominations and tombs of many famous musicians. The cage sells delicious cakes. Recommended

1  Thank djne11026
See more reviews
Reviewed 20 June 2018

I know it sounds weird but the cemetery actually is a great place for one to go on vacation. The grounds were beautiful well maintained like walking in a beautiful Park. the feeling of awe when walking around such a grand piece of landscape is amazing. Some high points you get to see some pretty famous headstones which is nice. On a somber note you get to experience the woes of the Jewish people at the time by looking at their Cemetery today. All in all I say this is a trip when should go do a nice walk around get to see the grounds see some famous headstones taking a bit of History feel a little bit of sobriety we're learning the history about some of the people. Great place to stop.