“St. Peter Stiftskeller”

Price range: R 580 - R 1 063
Cuisines: Austrian
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: St Peter Stiftskulinarium 803 AD History, gastronomy, culture and civilised social life come together in the elegant surroundings of the St Peter Stiftskulinarium, the best address in Salzburg, Mozart's sublime home city. Inside the walls of a Benedictine abbey at the heart of Salzburg's colourful Old Town, the St. Peter Stiftskulinarium has been a popular meeting place for princes and bishops, citizens and merchants for more than a millennium. A documented visit by Charlemagne in 803 is its claim to be Europe's oldest hostelry. More than a restaurant, the St. Peter Stiftskulinarium remains Salzburg's rendez-vous of choice - a place for good eating and drinking, of course, but also for entertaining, exchanging ideas and being seen. Townsfolk and tourists mingle with travelling celebrities, gourmets and business folk. Splendid private rooms host fashionable receptions. Its location between the Cathedral and the Festival Theatre in the centre of this intimate and cultured small city.
Reviewed 9 June 2017 via mobile

My fifth time in this lovely venue over the last 15 years. In the oldest restaurant in Europe. The Mozart dinner/concert takes place in a lovely baroque dining hall. Perfect introduction to Mozart's most popular operas with performers in 18th century dress offering Salzburg's famous son's favorite arias. All this accompanied by an elegant dinner.

1  Thank gwuerdemann
Reviews (2 078)

423 - 427 of 2 078 reviews

Reviewed 7 June 2017 via mobile

I have never been in beautiful Salzburg before, but I sure hope to be back some day with my husband... and then I most certainly will bring him to St. Peter Stiftskeller, a beautiful, quaint and charming restaurant with delicious food and serviceminded waiters. We had a three course meal, but I honestly belive I would have done better with only two. That would have been more than plenty.
All in all a lovely place to spend an evening meal in Salzburg.

1  Thank KSHolm
Reviewed 6 June 2017

We told the maitre' d that we only had a short time and he said to us no problem. We were seated at a beautiful table with the most amazing setting. We were told it is the oldest restaurant in Europe so we were excited. The staff were professional and friendly, and extremely helpful. The food was absolutely delicious and I could not fault one thing. I would highly recommend this restaurant as it was a fabulous experience I will remember for a long time.

Date of visit: June 2017
Reviewed 4 June 2017

Setting of the restaurant was lovely being the oldest in Europe. We were in a group and had a set meal. The chicken breast was tender but bland, side dish of vegetables came over 5minutes later and it got very warm in the room we were in and I had to go out to cool down. Perhaps the a la carte menu would be better. The soup was tasty but the desert (local fare) too sweet for me.

Date of visit: June 2017
1  Thank ValW26
Reviewed 3 June 2017 via mobile

What a lovely experience, an atmospheric dinner in Europe's oldest restaurant. The food was delicious and the surroundings are brilliant. The staff weren't particularly friendly but it didn't spoil the experience.