“Excellent, professional & Friendly”
Review of Cydive

Cydive
More attraction details
Owner description: Cydive is the largest and longest running Dive Shop in Paphos, Cyprus. We are the First 5 * CDC and a National Geographic Teaching Centre. Cydive was founded in 1978 and is currently under the management of Mr Photos Socratous and his lovely wife Julie, who have now owned the dive centre for 13 years.Our scuba diving centre in Paphos, offers a wide variety of dives, lessons and packages including scuba diving for children using only fully qualified PADI instructors. Our customers can relax and enjoy their experience above and below the surface with the latest equipment. We visit over fifty dive sites throughout the year and at any one time we have twenty four unique sites in our fortnightly timetable. Our timetable features all year round, a dive at the Zenobia wreck - one of the top ten wreck dives worldwide. We also cater for those of you who wish to further your diving career with four IDC courses a year.Cydive has grown in size over the last 33 years, it is proud to maintain its reputation as professional, friendly and helpful. We cater for experienced and novice divers, the complete beginner, singles or groups and we welcome non-divers on all our dive trips (space permitting).
Reviewed 14 April 2018 via mobile

If you’re reading this review then the chances are you’re either considering a ‘try’ dive (‘Discover Scuba Diving’), you’re looking to qualify or simply want to see what the Mediterranean has to offer in terms of diving.

I rarely write reviews, so bear with me if this is overly detailed.

I’ve just had four dives with Cydive and have done over a dozen over three trips to Paphos in the last two years. My Open Water qualifying dives with another dive outfit in Cyprus and my Advanced (and other dives) were with Cydive. I’m new to diving and, although very enthusiastic, I was fairly apprehensive about scuba. Hence, I did a lot of research about dive operators beforehand. The factors that made me choose Cydive (and continue to do so) are:

- Their reputation (from native Cypriot friends) and impeccable safety record.
- I don’t think there are any other operators of this size in Paphos; they have their own boats (2) and publish a dive schedule weeks, if not months in advance.
- They are a PADI 5 star IDC (Instructor Development Centre) - they teach people how to teach.
- They have several permanent super experienced instructors. I can’t emphasise enough how calm, patient and friendly they are. If you’re curious about having a go, then these guys will look after you very well.
- Mick, Kris, George and Breeze are seasoned divers who instil confidence and will go at whatever pace you’re comfortable with. They are a fantastic blend of wisdom and pure passion for diving and teaching new divers.
- Excellent customer support. Emails and phone calls are replied to really quickly whatever the time of year (I did a trip in January). Christina phones and emails to answer all your questions and queries. Even the owner (Photos) replies and enjoys meeting new divers personally.

As for the previous negative reviews on this site, yes I’ve had a few dives that didn’t go to plan including one when the dive boat broke down. These things happen. It’s *how* the problems are dealt with that matters in my opinion. I’ve never felt remotely unsafe.

Regarding the previous comments about helping loading equipment, unless you’re physically unable to, then I think it’s a really good way to become familiar with the gear. Only on live aboard dive boats do you have crew to set everything up for you (and typically you have to have some dives under your belt, 30+).

As for the price, well, put it this way. A plumber in London happily charges £75 (plus VAT) an hour. Taking kids paintballing will easily set you back £40+. Frankly, if I’m going to set foot into an environment that I was never designed to be in, then I’d want to be doing it with professionals. This is what you’re paying for and, in my opinion, it’s worth every euro.

There’s a reason diving is ranked 8th by millennials for its awesomeness. Oh, and if you’re worried about safety, please do bear in mind that scuba diving (when done properly) is reportedly safer than horse riding and undergoing surgical anaesthesia.

If you’re curious about diving, then Cydive will introduce you to the underwater world safely, comfortably and with great fun.

Photos S, Owner at Cydive, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2018

Hello, thank you so much for taking the time to write us a review!

We are so glad that you had a great experience with our company, we try as hard as possible to provide the best service we can and make sure that our staff are friendly, well trained and knowledgeable in order to put you at ease. We are very proud that the work our staff have put in to learning about the underwater world and maintaining the facilities and improving the reputation of the company has not gone unnoticed!

Thank you again for diving with us and we hope to see you again in the near future.

All reviews
in 6 reviews
"dive experience"
in 7 reviews

Reviewed 13 April 2018

A well equipped and friendly dive centre. I was in communication with the dive centre approx. 1 month before my holiday due to diving with diabetes. The centre was quick to respond and answered my many enquiries on the dive site. Time under for required dive, awareness of diabetes etc. Being happy with the responses, I booked onto the refresher dive with a 'swim' onto the roman Harbour Wall after.

I was picked up free of charge from my hotel in the Paphos area on time by DM Chris. He was also the DM to take the dive session. Once at the centre, I ran through my fit to dive documentation and took Chris through my medical requirements. Next the dive party went to the equipment and suited up. I'm am pleased all of this was ran in a patient manner and not rushed as I have experienced elsewhere.

The refresher dive is carried out in the harbour area, a 2 minute walk away. The entry off the harbour wall is down stone steps then across a rocky bed for a few metres. The boots supplied are a must. The refresher was easy to follow and Chris clearly described what to expect in advance.

Following the refresher, we swam onto the submerged roman Harbour Wall approx. at 5-6m. A gentle dive, not a great amount of marine life but plenty of scenery from the old Roman Wall, old anchors, pottery, cannonballs.

Overall a very good experience from this centre/Chris and happy it was a non-rushed dive.

Photos S, Owner at Cydive, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2018

Hello, thank you so much for taking the time to write us a review! We are so glad that you had a good experience on our refresher program and we were able to make you feel more comfortable even before you arrived here in Cyprus, we try as hard as possible to provide the best service we can and make sure that our staff are friendly, well trained and knowledgeable in order to put you at ease.

Thank you for diving with us and we hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed 8 April 2018 via mobile

The dive master, Chris, was very pleasant and knowledgeable. A very nice guy. My 3 star review has to do with the operation itself. I have a few recommendations. We gone diving all over the world and have a bit of experience. We had to don our wetsuits at the dive shop and walk to/from the dive boat down the boardwalk. I’d recommend providing transportation. Second, we paid pretty good money for a one tank dive. I don’t mean to sound tacky, but I don’t think it’s appropriate to be asked to unload the boat of all the used gear. I’ve always seen that process included as part of an “admission fee.”

Photos S, Owner at Cydive, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2018

Hello Ryan, thank you so much for taking the time to write us a review! We are sorry that your experience with us wasn't what you thought it would be, we try as hard as possible to provide the best service we can and will take your recommendations into consideration; in regard to your comments from our dive shop to the harbor it is only a 3 minute walk and getting into the wetsuit before leaving the shop means that all your belongings are safely stored in our lockers and you're not trying to squeeze into the suits whilst on the boat. We kindly ask our customers to help unload equipment as it is only a small group of divers however this is optional.

Thank you for taking time out of your holiday to dive with us.

Reviewed 7 April 2018 via mobile

As a family of five with kids as young as 11 and above, we tried our first scuba dive experience
Breeze, our instructor was a lovely lady who performed her task brilliantly. George the other dive master who accompanied us was great too. We first tried in pool and then went out to open sea.
I’m a panicky kind of person under water and hence decided to surface half way through but the instructors were happy to support it and George got us safely back to shore. However my teen daughter completed the whole experience at deeper end with Breeze and had a fabulous time.
Worth a try. If fear wouldn’t have played on my mind I M sure I would have repeated the experience again at a different location. But I must say give it a go.
Thanks a lot Breeze and George