All reviews dual carriageway courtesy bus jules verne tour overlooking kyrenia genuine friendliness north cyprus intense heat inexpensive taxi ride outdoor pool moussaka cleaned every morning package tour fabulous views beautiful holiday good size hanging space nothing is too much trouble
Reviewed 15 April 2018

We spent four nights in this wonderful hotel. The rooms were comfortable, with great views, and the staff were always attentive and helpful. Meals were well presented and beautifully cooked. All in all this was one of the best hotels we had stayed in for a long time. We are already thinking of going back some time in the future.

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 March 2018 via mobile

This is a very basic hotel that needs some work to it. It has a good location, with only 10-15 mins away from the city centre and offers a complimentary shuttle bus that takes you to town at 10:30am and brings you back at 3pm (enough to walk around the city as there is nothing to do there, apart from a visit to the castle which is very poor like every other place in Northern Cyprus...) The facilities during my stay were really bad, couldn’t use the outdoor swimming pool because we were out of season, the indoor swimming pool was out of service however, I think they just didn’t want us to use it because it looked perfectly fine to me. To use the sauna we had to let reception know 2 hours ahead which I find ridiculous. The food was atrocious, can’t even describe how bad it was. I think only one night the food was edible, the rest was tasteless. How can you make scrambled eggs taste bad? They had water everywhere! The best thing was the bread and butter. Rooms were comfortable and clean and they have amazing views of the city. The staff was nice but when asked questions about shuttle bus service or other things they kept telling you different things so not very well informed. Definitely not returning.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank Josefina S
Reviewed 17 March 2018

I've studied in a boarding school and thought that I never had that kind of food again... till we stayed at this hotel, the problem is not only the quality, the cook doesn't know how to prepare scramble eggs! Variety is inexistent, desserts are horrible, juices are a sugary squash. The rooms are basic, don't expect any luxuries, the inner pool is out of order.
The best are the views as the hotel is located on a hill.
Decoration is very basic .
You can't walk to town but taxis are inexpensive and the hotel has a complimentary bus.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank Fernando S
Reviewed 3 March 2018

The hotel has great views from its hillside location, but it's not possible to walk into town. You need to either use taxis or the complimentary shuttle van. At least it's far enough away from town that the early morning call to prayer from the mosques doesn't wake you up!

Staff are friendly and helpful. The mainly Bangladeshi restaurant staff speak good English, but are too fast clearing dishes.

One gets the feeling that costs are kept under very tight control, particularly in the food. For example, in an island that produces beautiful oranges, the breakfast 'orange juice' is a rather poor orange squash.

Room Tip: Lots of steps to all the rooms
  • Stayed: February 2018, travelled solo
1  Thank recliner2000
Reviewed 27 November 2017

My first contact with Mehmet, the manager of the Onar Holiday Village, was a phone call in which he patiently explained to me that I should use the Ledra Palace crossing in Nicosia, because it would be easy to leave my rented car (not allowed into the Turkish area by the hire company) in a car park by the border, and that there was a taxi rank on the Turkish side. I admit I was a bit panicky about potential border problems: he said there were none, and he was right.

On several other occasions he was incredibly helpful in solving any issues we had, recommending places and so on. His staff showed the same relaxed helpfulness, and I note that the attentiveness of the staff has been commented on frequently in other reviews. Nothing was too much trouble for Mehmet and his staff. I have a lot of hotel experience, and had not realised before how much difference to a holiday this genuine friendliness can make.

The hotel is superbly located on a hillside just outside town with fantastic views over Girne, and with a free hotel shuttle or an easy and inexpensive taxi ride to the harbour, The hotel itself is serene and peaceful, with clean rooms and a relaxed ambience. Breakfasts were good, and we also enjoyed dinner at the hotel as well as at the Chimera restaurant linked somehow to the hotel.

I have no hesitation in recommending the Onar Holiday Village!

Room Tip: Facing the sea!
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple