“Wonderful discovery”
Review of Raest

Raest
Ranked #7 of 49 Restaurants in Torshavn
Reviewed 17 June 2018 via mobile

We like to discover new tastes and unusual food combinations. Raest was our discovery on the Faeröer islands. I didn’t know that all kind of food could be fermented and cooked in such a tasteful manner.
The young cook follows old traditions: drying the fish in the salted wind and other secret ways to prepare ingredients. His recipes come from his parents, grandparents, ... and his dishes are prepared with a lot of personal inspiration!
You can discover the unique menu on internet ... but what you receive on your plate remains a wonderful surprise !

Reviewed 16 June 2018

A while back, I found out about the traditional fermentation process "ræst", which lead to planning a trip to Faroe Islands.
Having no sense of directions, I got a bit lost trying to walk to the restaurants - Torshavn has very complicated street design. Almost as soon as I found the black wall of the tiny old house, familiar scent hit me - that of fermented fish! I breathed in deeply as I went up the cobble steps. A friendly lady server welcomed me outside the door. Once I was in the restaurant, more scents mixed with the initial fish scent, making even more delightful. The server told me that the smell can be overwhelming for people not accustomed to it, which is completely understandable.

Everything from the furniture, old Danish/Faroese books that I paged through in between dishes, friendly server and chef, made the visit so cozy and memorable.

All the dishes were excellent, but I want to mention especially of the fermented lamb neck. This was way beyond my expectation. I grew up eating fermented food in Japan. I know what "umami" is. But this? This is something above and beyond. The fact that it can be made only with the nature of the Faroe Islands - salty and cool breeze - makes it even more special. Too bad I can't experiment making it at home, the meat will just rot in the climate I live in.

Ræst is difinitely one of the few best places I've ever visited. I highly recommend visiting.

And thinking back, the location of the restaurant is not that hard to find afterall after few days of getting to know the lovely tiny city!

Reviewed 15 June 2018 via mobile

On our last night in the Faroe Islands we decided to try Raest. I am so glad we did. We also went to #1, 2, and 3 restaurants on TripAdvisor but they all fell short of our expectations. The moment you step into Raest you notice that it is someone's home and they greeted us warmly. We were told it is the oldest home in Torshavn and was saved after a fire. I wish I caught the names of the two people that helped us because they were very kind, courteous and attentive. They explained every course and even gave us starters and desserts in addition to the pre fixe menu. It was the best meal we've had on our trip to Faroe Islands. You get to try dishes that you won't be able to have elsewhere; it is authentically Faroese. It was truly an experience! I would definitely recommend Raest; it will be
worth your while!

Reviewed 14 June 2018 via mobile

I came to Faroe Islands with the purpose of discovering culture and this place has been the match: fermented lamb, pilot whale and Akvavit. Not something you'd find everywhere. The staff was well informed on every detail. All this for reasonable price

Reviewed 8 April 2018 via mobile

This is a great place, you are eating in a old house to keep the old Faroese theme going while you are eating real Faroese food. The food er fermented, so you want to come and eat here you have to tolerate strong smell, and you can expect that your clothes will smell. This is a place for those who have the courage to try strong and smelly Faroese food.