Reviews (1 509)
1 509 results
All reviews star cafe regatta restaurant jean pierre sea view lobby bar manoel island the bus road noise sliema creek front facing free safe the air conditioning half board tea and coffee third floor bed and breakfast high floor
449 - 454 of 1 509 reviews
Reviewed 1 January 2016 via mobile

Decided to spend Christmas this year in Sliema at the Waterfront Hotel. Been to quite a few of the others along the Strand but first time here.I am mindful of some of the other reviews but quite honestly my stay was pretty ok. Yes it needs a bit of a tidy up in some places which I believe is starting next year with another two floors being added. My room was clean as was the bedding and bathroom. Towel and sheets were changed at your request. My view was a side view of Sliema creek on the 2nd floor.The food was fine with a banquet on Christmas Eve and Christmas lunch. Those on half board had these meals included but those on bed and breakfast who chose to eat in the Regatta Restaurant in the evening had to pay. The staff were all courteous,friendly and helpful Chantelle in particular could not be more helpful, always had a smile even though she worked through the holiday period. One word of advice, try and get a room on the higher floors as there is no double glazing and it is a little noisy late at night and first thing in the morning. Would I stay again. It's a yes from me.

Stayed: December 2015, travelled solo
2  Thank Andy M
Charmaine C, Manager at The Waterfront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 January 2016

Dear Guest,

On behalf of everyone, I thank you for submitting your positive review about your recent stay at The Waterfront Hotel on TripAdvisor.

Reviewed 29 December 2015

I'm not sure what the requirements are to be a 4 star hotel in Malta, but this hotel wouldn't meet them anywhere else in Western Europe. First off, there's no gym and no indoor pool - and the terrace pool is closed in winter.
Worse, though, the room we're in is completely run down. The mattress is totally knackered. The room smelt damp as soon as we walked in, and the ceiling has patches that are clearly painted over mould spots (the mould might have been bleached, I can't tell, but why was there mould in the first place?). The duvet cover had white-ish stains and the sheets some hairs. My asthma is kicking off and my wife, an allergy sufferer, is itching all over. The bath mat had a bogey on it. The bathroom smells of fish, or drains, and has a notice saying "do not drink the tap water". Despite that, there is no free bottled water - it's €3 a bottle!
The only positive about the hotel is the staff, who are incredibly friendly and dealt deftly with our immediate complaint about the old mattress and stained cover.
I'm writing this at 3:50am as we can't sleep - I woke my wife up going to the loo. In fairness, the problem with needing to switch on a blindingly bright light from outside the bathroom to go for a pee is one most hotels suffer from but when you're already sleeping so badly this takes on another dimension. At least the free wifi, earlier so slow I couldn't even watch a Youtube video, is now reasonably fast - I'm getting 8Mb/second but presumably that is the full bandwidth for the entire hotel.
We're trying to air the room out but, as nice as a sea view sounds, the street outside is one of Malta's main arteries and is constantly noisy. There's also a restaurant outside so in the evening the smell from that wafts into the room. Maybe one of the other rooms overlooking a side street would have been better.
The hotel is cheap, but you pay for what you get - I've been to Malta on business a lot and have often wondered why people on business insist on 5 star hotels. Now I know why - but I also don't have much to compare with; for all I know, despite the chronic under investment, the hotel might be succeeding in their mission statement, written in bold in the lobby, to be Malta's leading four star hotel. The only other time we have stayed at a four star hotel here, at our own expense, was a comparably bad experience. I would never stay here by choice but I'm not sure we'll have the chance to move.
-----------------
So, I drafted that some weeks ago, then hesitated to post it. My wife complained the next day; she was shown three other rooms before finding one that wasn't damp. The room that wasn't damp was, instead, really, really hot - despite it being November and cool outside. We stayed there for 2 night before giving up and going to the Meridien, having found a special deal there. A lovely hotel that I would highly recommend.
Apparently all hotels in Malta suffer from damp, according to the staff that showed my wife to the other rooms - but that's just not true; we've stayed in many that weren't - unfortunately, in Malta, you have to go for a 5 star hotel to for it to be dry, clean and not hot.
The upsides of this hotel are that it's near a large number of good places to eat that are cheaper than the ones in St.Julian's, the area where we usually stay. The hotel also seems to be very popular with British and German pensioners at this time of year, oddly enough.
Apparently it's going to be refurbished in 2016. I hope so - it needs it!

• Stayed: November 2015, travelled on business
6  Thank Fean0r
Reviewed 29 December 2015

I stayed here for a week in room 307. I had booked a "sea view" room through a booking site and certainly the view was very good, although it was a "side seaview" room as defined by the hotel's own website. The room was a very good size and the bathroom with a good size bathtub was also good. The WiFi in the room was usually good. Breakfast was very good with plenty of choices (although staff seem to struggle with clearing tables and taking coffee orders). The location of the hotel in Sliema is excellent, being a short walk to the ferry to Valletta, and surrounded by plenty of shops and restaurants.

However, on the less positive side is the fact the room was tired and the two single beds joined to form a double bed with very thin mattresses was not comfortable for sleeping. It was not the quality I would expect from a 4 star hotel. Malta has a water problem. A small note on the bathroom mirror indicated one should not drink the tap water. In this case it would have reflected a quality hotel if they provided a bottle of complimentary water in a prominent position with a note explaining one should use bottled water and where to obtain replacement bottles. I arrived closed to midnight and if one needs to take pills with water what are you supposed to do at that hour?

While the bathtub in the bathroom was an excellent size, they supplied a liquid soap that was placed in a position that was only convenient for those who were standing up and showering so I had to use my own soap that I had brought along. Similar thoughtlessness was the washing line they supplied -- it was good they supplied one but it was too close to the wall and too low down.

The lifts were often slow, especially in the morning with guests going to/from breakfast. It was frustrating that one cannot use stairs to go from one's room on the 3rd floor to breakfast on the 1st floor. I checked with reception and was told that the fire stairs would lock behind you.

Overall I think the hotel has a lot of potential, but a refresh of the rooms including new beds with decent mattresses would be essential to achieve it.

• Stayed: October 2015, travelled solo
1  Thank Jonathan M

Dear Guest,

With regards to water, kindly note that we do place large bottles of water in the rooms for our guests. These can be purchased and will be replenished according to our guests' needs and requirements.

Reviewed 25 December 2015 via mobile

Have just returned from a lovely break in Malta. The hotel staff were so friendly, cheerful and helpful, from emailing the front desk before our arrival to arrange transfers to checkout. Myself and my daughter are not 'foodies' but found the choice at breakfast and in the evening more than sufficient and well cooked. Possibly the hotel could do with a couple more members of staff to clear the breakfast tables as although the staff there were working flat out they were overwhelmed by the number of guests, having said that, they were always friendly and polite and it was not a problem. The room was clean with ample storage and patio area. TV channels bit limited but if we had wanted to watch TV could have stayed at home! We were not worried about harbour view as it was always after dark when we returned to our room. Would definitely stay here again. Thankyou to all the front and back room staff.

Stayed: December 2015, travelled with family
2  Thank Applegate13

Dear Guest,

Your feedback is much appreciated by all, and we look forward to welcoming you back. Please do not hesitate to contact me personally when planning your next visit.

Reviewed 14 December 2015

My brother and I went to Malta to visit his son, my nephew, who had move there from the UK about one year ago. My nephew recommended The Waterfront because of it's location, next to his apartment. We knew it was a 4-star hotel, in fact it was more of a 3-star establishment. Most of the staff were friendly enough, especially at Reception and breakfast. But the reason I felt compelled to write this is the Bartender. His name was Lawrence, and he was on duty Saturday evening 12 December 2015. I have travelled far and wide, and stayed at many hotels, but never have I met such a grumpy and rude bartender. He berated us for "ordering" a bottle of an unknown spirit, and said we should consume it all! Regardless of the fact that we had never "ordered" that bottle, his behaviour was quite shocking and lasted throughout our presence in the bar area. He was consistently unpleasant and unfriendly. Not what you would expect from anyone working in the hotel industry. My advice to The Waterfront: get rid of him, he is an embarrassment to an otherwise pleasant venue. Thank you. PS One more thing: The air conditioning had been turned to "winter settings" which meant the air was warm; however, the weather was sunny and hot! We were unable to get cool air conditioning in the rooms, but the staff solved it by sending fans up to our rooms.

Room Tip: The front is very noisy because of traffic and they don't have double-glazed balcony doors.
  • Stayed: December 2015, travelled with family
2  Thank A H F
Charmaine C, Manager at The Waterfront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 December 2015

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review and constructive feedback. I apologise for the inconvenience and would greatly appreciate it if would contact me personally on ccamilleri@water.mizzi.com.mt so that we can discuss this matter further.

Kind regards