All reviews petrol station dual carriageway beans budget hotel the sofa bed road noise free wifi coffee machine breakfast was included service station overnight stop quiet room family room would stay again hi express good nights sleep plenty of parking
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

About two miles out of the town with a bP garage next door. It’s convenient to reach most tourist areas within a short time. we found all the staff very friendly with quick and efficient service. Rooms were clean with hairdryer, case stand tv, tea coffee making facilities. The bathroom is good enough with an all purpose gel. The toilet shuts off independently from the bathroom however we each opened the door to exit the bathroom slamming our hands into the toilet enclosure, weird how we can do this but the result is painful. Due to full on touring days and nowhere else convenient to eat, the town is a drive away and parking is difficult, so we decided each evening to eat in the restaurant and the food is definitely better than expected and responsibly priced. WiFi is really good signal and plenty of parking. Buffet breakfast is as you would expect. Cereal porridge fruit and yoghurt. Hot buffet includes toast sausage scrambled eggs bacon and beans. Coffee machine is good orange juice a bit suspect. Hats off to the owners who cope remarkably well when full to capacity still manage to interact with customers and make you feel welcome and special.

Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

Staff very attentive ask for a quiet room and I got what I asked for Holiday Inn Express extremely clean and tidy throughout the evening meal was beautiful cooked by chef and served by great staff breakfast was done like a buffet style Yes it's on the main road but l did not hear anything. Keep up the hard work

Stayed: November 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 October 2018 via mobile

We have just stayed here for 2 nights. It’s a good base to get to Dover and to visit Canterbury.

On arrival we had to wait a little bit before someone came to the desk but when they did staff were helpful. There was a large coach party so he checked about breakfast times in the morning just to make sure we would be ok.

Hotel is on A2 so when I saw complementary ear plugs at reception I was a little worried but it was absolutely fine we did not hear anything.

Bar was very busy but we managed to get a seat. Husband said prices were a little high.

Room was adequate and clean. Lots of towels available too.

Now onto breakfast. Both mornings we were able to get a table and the choices were more than adequate. We are not big breakfast eaters but it was perfectly fine. Selection of cereals, yoghurt, toast, baps, muffins, croissants, sausages, bacon, scrambled eggs and baked beans. Various hot drinks options and juices. Our son particularly liked the take away cups to have his hot chocolate in.

I agree with some other reviews that the corridors and rooms could do with a lick of paint.

Not sure why they charge £3 per night to park as it does not have anything close by people would park there for!

Would we stay again. Probably if we need a stop over when going to France.

Stayed: October 2018, travelled with family
IHGService, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Canterbury, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Hi KatieL548,

Reviews from well-traveled guests are valuable, thanks for staying with us. I'm sorry to hear that we missed the mark in terms of pricing, the corridor's upkeep, and parking fee. I've shared your comments with the management to help spot areas that need improvement. On the upside, I'm glad you found our location to you liking and that our staff has been most hospitable. It's also great that you found both our soundproofing and breakfast service to your liking.

Thanks for the candor, KatieL548. We'd like to try and make your stay experience much better than the last.

Until next time,

Jillian I

Reviewed 21 October 2018 via mobile

Looking rather down-at -heel with tatty paintwork, this hotel didn’t meet my expectations.

A good impression was not made when initially walking into the hotel as there was a pervasive smell of fried food which is the case throughout the hotel, I discovered when walking to my room. Walking rather than taking a lift, as there is no lift. Although my room was clean and the pillows were good, it was very basic. The bed was not comfortable, and not solid. Had my partner been with me his weight combined with mine alone might have been a problem. The room was very noisy from the very nearby A2 which is basically a motorway and I was outraged to find that I had to pay for parking- one of the reasons I chose to stay in this hotel rather than in the city centre was to avoid parking charges. When I raised this with staff I was told it was in the hotel website but I couldn’t find it either when booking or later during my stay. Maybe it’s buried in the smalllprint.

Although it was good that at breakfast there was both soya milk and decaf teabags, I did have to ask for the former from reception staff- and had to wait while they finished their argument over something one of them had done wrong.

I won’t be staying here- or in any Holiday Inn- again, on the basis of my experience.

Stayed: October 2018, travelled solo
IHGService, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Canterbury, responded to this reviewResponded 5 weeks ago

Hi, Tanya G!

Thank you for your stay and leaving us feedback.

It is nice to know that you liked the pillows and cleanliness of the room. I am sorry for some of the issues you had like the bed and its soundproofing. I am also sorry to learn that you were disappointed with the parking terms and breakfast. I advised the local management about this. Most of our IHG hotels are franchised and independently managed, policies for parking may vary depending on the local business demand. We will use this as we continue to go over the things we need for enhancements to provide better guests' satisfaction.

As we strive to improve, we would love to once again host your next stop in the area.

Many thanks,

Anne A

Reviewed 20 October 2018

The Holiday Inn express Canterbury is hitting 10/10 for housekeeping. This is something the brand is really good at - and I really do appreciate the hard work and commitment housekeeping place into turning a room around. Other brands could learn from H/I in this respect.

This site has the expected attention to detail in cleaning.

Unfortunately however, there are some minor things letting this site down - through to just bizarre issues wich could easily be rectified.

The following was an annoyance:

When a guest arrives at front desk - if staff are busy serving customers in the restaurant - inbetween getting drinks, talking to the chef, and instructing the new member of staff, the guest waiting to check in should be acknowledged. The longer than usual wait for service wouldn't be so much of an issue then. Clearly - at my arrival time, there was an unexpected influx of guests eating - and this put too much strain on the staff.

As a coach was in the car park - I believe the site may have been working at capacity. Transfer of staff to cope with demand may have helped.

£3 for parking in the hotel car park or risk a £100 fine? I don't appreciate this. I do expect my parking to be free. I don't recollect paying on any other IHG site, and using a parking management company that invoices customers £100 under the guise of a 'fine' is unethical. These parking companies are in my opinion and experience a cash cow that abuses vulnerable motorists. Either way - is the price of the room not enough? It doesn't appear to be on the IHG website either. It's only £3 - but - 89 rooms paying £3... adds up.

The hotel is a little tired - but housekeeping again have done an amazing job at keeping the older premises functional. A big well done to them on this. However, there's loads of maintenance issues. Radiator hanging off the wall. Things mounted on an angle, and general repair issues gone amiss. Using the stair well for storage of anything is a big 'no no'. Fire regulations don't like this. Please don't do it. It can either be the seat of a fire, or can cause obstruction during evacuation.

Evening meal was placed at the end of the ordering period - sorry if this annoyed the chef. The Lasagne was good - but clearly a frozen product, chucked into a bowl, and microwaved until the plate nearly melted. Did you know - food should be served at a temperature where it can be eaten right away? Not still with bubbling, boiling oil on the dish? It's a major safety issue. Good thing I overheard the chef say "Tell him the plate is hot". Cucumber and Tomato thrown together on the side. Not quite a salad.

I feel that it's been a busy night - and the hotel hasn't coped. That may be the issue here.

My room was facing away from the main road. It was wonderfully quiet. I so needed that. It had been a very long day.

The bed - Not quite the norm for Holiday Inn. It's a Relyon Mattress - I'm sure in 2016 Holiday Inn changed to Hypnos - so, this might date the mattress a little.

The sheets were clean. There was a clean mattress cover. But the mattress was laden with stains. I've just come from a really really bad hotel - so - I didn't notice how bad this one was - but - it totally wasn't to H/I standards.

Breakfast was to the standard H/I, and was good.

So. To improve this site:

Management need to move inch by inch through the hotel with a notebook - writing down everything that's wrong here. Then fix it.

Re paint. Re carpet. New mattresses and train staff a little better. Easy! It wouldn't take much to make this site better - and more like a Holiday Inn we all love!

• Stayed: October 2018, travelled on business
IHGService, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Canterbury, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2018

Hi, Morser221!

Thank you for your stay and detailing your thoughts.

I am glad to know that you were impressed with the service delivered by our housekeeping staff. It is also nice to see that you liked our property's location. I am sorry that we let you down in terms of the service from some other hotel staff. I am also sorry to learn that you were disappointed with the quality of the bed, and parking. By the way, parking is one of the things that are subject to local management. Most of our IHG hotels are franchised and independently managed, depending on their local business demands. I still advised the local ownership of your feedback. We will use the points you raised as we continue to improve our overall services for a better experience.

Until your next stop in the area, we would love to host you better than the last.

Many thanks,