“ Very good”

Old Iceland Restaurant
Ranked #10 of 575 Restaurants in Reykjavik
Cuisines: European, Seafood, Steakhouse, Scandinavian
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: We are a family run restaurant with Icelandic home cooking. Our specialty is on seafood and Icelandic lamb. We also offer a choice of three or a five course set menu OPENING HOURS: Lunch: 11:30 - 16:15, Dinner: 17:00 - 22:00
Reviewed 28 June 2018 via mobile

Scallops appetizer good. Cod entree and wolf fish entree excellent. Rhubarb cake good. Portions are on slightly small size compared to US. Get reservation or you will likely be told to come back later. Not many tables.

Date of visit: June 2018
Write a ReviewReviews (2 126)

170 - 174 of 2 126 reviews

Reviewed 27 June 2018

Reykjavik appears to specialize in small, casual (and noisy) restaurants with very good food. This is another such restaurant. For appetizers, we shared a scallops with red currants, raisins, and a cream sauce. For main courses, we had a golden red fish (special of the day) over root vegetables and turnip purée with a pesto sauce and a baked ling (a tasty white fish) with tomatoes, potatoes, baked kale, and a parsnip purée. For dessert, we split a rhubarb “brownie” with a fruit sorbet. Bottles of wine with the meal are quite expensive in Iceland but we had a very nice bottle of Pinot Grigio with the meal. (total was about $175). The service was pleasant and courteous. Reservations were required but may no longer be accepted so check in advance.

Reviewed 27 June 2018 via mobile

My husband emailed and booked a table for our Ruby Wedding Anniversary. When we arrived at restaurant there was no record of our booking but as my husband had email confirmation on his phone we were seated. The food here is excellent. We both had shellfish soup which was delicious. Then I had the lamb and this was the most tender tasty lamb I have ever eaten. My husband had fish which he said was delicious. I then had rhubarb cake and my husband had affogata. Cannot fault the food here. Bookings essential as it was very busy and lots of people turned away. The manager was really annoyed that our booking hadn't been processed properly but thank you sir for being able to seat us on our very special day. Very highly recommend this place. Only small but a lovely atmosphere as well as fantastic food.

Reviewed 27 June 2018

This is one of the best meals I've ever had. As a chef traveling I always like to try and eat as local as possible and in my research before I came to Reykjavik I found this restaurant. Its very easy to find as its on the main shopping road of the city and 10-15 minutes away from the main square and cathedral. My wife and I sat down for dinner and we were amazed by every element of this restaurant. Our server Louise help us navigate the menu and helped us pick drink pairings to accompany of meals. They try very had to us as much local products available to them. It is a bit more on the expensive side but it is a must go for anybody looking to enjoy Icelandic cuisine.

Reviewed 26 June 2018

This restaurant was within walking distance from our Storm Hotel and was recommended by the hotel; it was a great spot; it is a bit cramped; tables VERY close to one another but that was no problem for us. We each had the fish of the day which was served with a variety of vegetables. It was a nice size and really delicious. The wait staff was attentive if hurried as they are VERY busy. We would go back again and highly recommend this restaurant.