“Best lamb I’ve ever had! ”
Review of Ostabudin

Ostabudin
Ranked #9 of 545 Restaurants in Reykjavik
Price range: US$9 - US$30
Cuisines: Seafood
Description: Food connoisseurs and other gastronomes have ever since the year 2000 slipped into our basement during lunch hour to feast on various delicacies. But of course everyone knows that because ever since the restaurant opened for business it has been the least kept secret in the area. Ostabuðin has truly been an oasis on Skolavorðustigur because we have tried our best to offer a wide varaity of fresh and curious products which have tickled our patrons taste buds and in turn trickled salivating reflexes in the city center. Even though we have taken some pride in the queue that has formed outside our entrance every single day during lunch break for the past 15 years we have finally expanded our premises. Thus we can now welcome our patrons from dawn til dusk and offer them a variety of fish and meat dishes which we have refined with passion. Of course there is also a lot of cheese on the menu and now we can also serve wine with our fare. Our daily specials always include both a fish dish and a soup during lunch hour on weekdays. Do not hesitate to ask what is on offer today. Also, our seafood soup never disappoints. Our guests might have to share tables during the lunch hour rush but who knows – maybe you will make new friends. Bon appetit, Joi.
Reviewed 17 May 2018 via mobile

Stunning! Had the most delicious and relaxed meal here yesterday. The meat feast was divine, fabulous flavours and the perfect amount, but the lamb for my mains... absolutely delicious! And I have good welsh lamb at home, so this had something to live up to, and it did. Can honestly say the best lamb dish I’ve eaten! Staff were lovely and helpful, good ambience, and although expensive (as all places in Iceland) the portions were big and full of flavour and it was worth every penny! Highly recommend!

1  Thank Harriread24
Write a ReviewReviews (1 793)

41 - 45 of 1 793 reviews

Reviewed 16 May 2018

The landlord of our rental apartment recommended this restaurant and we were not disappointed. We had reservations and the five of us were seated at a comfortably sized round table in the main dining area. The fish soup and reindeer appetizers were very good as well as the main courses.... lamb, salted cod and plaice (flounder like). I was surprised to read some reviewers complain about portions and I can only imagine that they were Americans used to the over the top portions served in the chain restaurants in the US. We all found the portions to be perfect. We heard plenty of Icelandic being spoken by other patrons so I gather this is a local favorite.

Reviewed 10 May 2018

This is by far the best food we’ve ever tasted! ( thanks to the guy from Montreal who told us about it in the hot tub yesterday!) I had the Minke whale steak for starter. - served nearly rare, it melted in my mouth.It tasted of the best fillet steak.
My wife had a meat platterwhich included goose and ewe.Again, it was wonderful. The reindeer and slow cooked lamb were perfectly cooked too.
Make sure that you go there if you visit Reykjavík - you will love it!

1  Thank Hazytrev
Reviewed 8 May 2018 via mobile

Had a good dinner here my first evening in Reykjavik. I referred the goose salad and lamb and my friend had the seafood soup and the Icelandic trout. The goose salad was my favorite dish. The meat was incredibly flavorful. I really liked the soup— it had lots of meat in it but needed more seasoning and a bit of kick. It was probably the blandest curry I’ve ever tasted. I didn’t know it was possible. My friend really enjoyed her trout. It was soft with crispy skin. My lamb was good but not exceptional. It was a very casual & relaxed atmosphere. Nice for a casual lunch date or dinner with a friend.

Reviewed 5 May 2018 via mobile

I visited the restaurant for dinner. An earlier reviewer said that the portions were small so I ordered as starter a seafood soup and for main the cod.

The soup itself was big for a starter. The taste was salty but fine. The crab meat did not have a taste in such a strong broth. The cod was a big portion as well. Unfortunately, it was also quite salty. But I guess it is supposed to be.

The service was attentive and courteous as well.

Three stars only because of my experience that night: the waiter forgot my espresso and I got an upset stomach.