“Warm, friendly, relaxed, and vegetarian”
Review of Cafe Gardurinn

Cafe Gardurinn
Ranked #18 of 565 Restaurants in Reykjavik
Reviewed 5 May 2017 via mobile

Ok so I'm not vegetarian but my wife liked the idea of this when reading reviews from a book, and I am fine with vegetarian food as an alternative tasty choice from time to time.

There was no disappointment here. Each day they serve a soup and a stew. Each small or large in servings and I took the suggested route of one small soup and one small nut stew. Both where very tasty. My wife went for a large soup and chocolate cake after.

In short the stew was very flavoursome, the soup also, the chocolate cake was amazing.

Soups are served with bread you choose butter or homous as a spread.

Hot chocolate and coffee was great also.

This totted up to 5000 krona. Great value, especially in Iceland where everything is comparatively expensive to us brits.

This is perfect for a meal or even just a coffee and a cake.

Definitely on the list to try whilst staying locally.

Reviewed 17 February 2017

We found this delightful vegetarian cafe by chance as we spent a morning wandering around near Reykjavik waterfront. Very cute inside with a spiritualist theme and delicious hot drinks (creamy, strong hot chocolate, peppermint tea with loose leaves/strainer, cappuccino etc) but the real winner were the delicious veggie & gluten free cakes - totally yummy. Friendly service if a little shy - I don't think their English was quite strong enough for them to serve with confidence but still charming nonetheless. Not too expensive either. Definitely should seek this one out if you are going to Iceland.

Reviewed 22 January 2017

My sister and I happened upon this wonderful tiny restaurant on our first day in Iceland. Choice was limited to one soup and one main so we decided to order one of each and share. Everything had great depth of flavour, was hearty and completely satisfying. Simple cheerful decor - perfect lunch stop! The cakes looked amazing although we were too full to sample them.

Reviewed 1 December 2016 via mobile

Locally owned. Excellent vegetarian soup. I had cabbage soup and it was served with fresh bread. Great value too.

Reviewed 17 November 2016 via mobile

We enjoyed a hearty carrot and spinach soup served with two small slices of bread and either a small container of hummus or butter.

This was the special soup of the day and it seems they change daily with a special and special soup option each day.

It is Iceland, so two bowls of soup set us back 2,500 Krona or about £20, so not the cheapest bowl of soup ever, but not the most expensive in Reykavik I am sure.

This is a small cafe and is perfectly nice. The staff weren't excessively friendly, more perfunctory if anything, but it's a cafe, so ambience and warm welcome are probably less important than reliable tasty fare.

It is only open during the day and closes at 5pm, so handy for a light vegetarian lunch.

If you are vegetarian I would say this is a good spot to grab decent food at a not totally outrageous price.