“Iceland 10 day self drive Classic Tour”

Nordic Visitor Tours
Ranked #37 of 373 Tours in Reykjavik
More attraction details
Owner description: Based in Reykjavik, Iceland since 2002, Nordic Visitor offers wide range of excursions, from wilderness adventures to culture-focused city tours. Our selection of guided small group tours, privately-guided tours and self-guided tours are handpicked by our own local travel experts.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Just got back from Iceland. had a fantastic Time there !! What an Amazing Country! Calling it gorgeous, Beautiful is simply not doing Justice to it. Very friendly People. All speak English well enough that we had no problems at all.
We booked our 10 day classic self drive 10 day tour through Nordic Visitor. Dagny' was our Travel Consultant. She was extremely efficient and helpful. Very friendly too. We reached Reykyavik and there was transportation awaiting us, with all the paperwork, detailed map, phone for local use, providing all the details, tips etc.
Weather was great most days but we had gone prepared so didn't let rain/wind interfere with our holiday.
all in all, 10/10.
suggest look up " free walking tour " and book one for Reykjavik. You can pay anything you wish at the end. 2 hrs, well spent. must book in advance though as gets booked up. it is a walking tour.
Roads are very good , but suggest get a SUV/ 4X4 if budget allows as some attractions are on Dirt roads.
Maybe we will visit in the winter sometime to see the northern Lights !!
Food is expensive. Toilets everywhere.

2  Thank Anil B
"detailed map"
in 15 reviews
"ring road"
in 37 reviews
"natural wonders of iceland"
in 12 reviews
in 21 reviews
"day tour"
in 43 reviews

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Our tour was fantastic. Our travel consultant, Silja, was so helpful during the planning stage & while we were in country & on our drive. The accommodations were small, usually remote with breathtaking views. Rooms were clean & staff very friendly. The distances planned for travel each day allowed us to drive at leisure & stop to view many sights. The only negative we experienced was with rental car. It was “well-used”. The warning light for worn brake pads came on during our first day. We contacted Reykjavík Car Rental & Nordic Visitor with our concerts & basically we were told not to worry as it was just a warning light. With the remoteness of some of the areas we drove through, it was a concern. We would definitely used Nordic Visitor again but would be more discriminating concerning car rental.

2  Thank Kate K
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Because of Hurricane Irma, my wife Amy and I scrapped our trip to Key West and decided to go to Iceland. Amy found Nordic Visitor on Trip Advisor and after looking at all the tour packages decided to take "The Natural Wonders of Iceland" 9-day guided group tour. Once we booked our trip, we were contacted immediately by Silja our Nordic Visitor Travel Consultant. The level of customer service provided by Silja was the best we have ever experienced. We decided to come in a day early, stay an additional day on the back end in Reykjavik, and take a helicopter tour which Silja took care of booking the hotel and helicopter tour and adjusting the transportation transfers from Keflavik Airport to Reykjavik and back. The level of detail on the itinerary and tour was outstanding. Our personal tour guide and driver Boga was so friendly, professional and down to earth. Her privately owned tour van was very comfortable and clean. Since our group was only 7 of us and we were always on time when and where we needed to meet at our stops, Boga said we had some extra time and would take us off the beaten path to see other sights that she considered special, which they were. Every hotel, restaurant, and stop on our tour were specifically picked out based on Nordic Visitors high standards. Because we had such a small group, in the middle of our tour, Nordic Visitor let two employees join our tour for a few days. Surprisingly one of them was Silja our travel consultant and her coworker Kolbrun. It was some much fun having them with us. They made our tour experience that much more special. Thanks to Nordic Visitor, Amy and I both agree that this was the best vacation we have ever had, nothing short of first class and worth every cent. We will definitely user Nordic Visitor for our next European trip.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Iceland has been on my bucket list for awhile. I have several friends that have visited and was in awe of their pictures. I asked them for tips on where to go but quickly realized that it would be difficult to plan the trip on my own - so many logistics that I did not have the time, energy, or expertise to figure out. I searched online for travel agencies and am so glad that I went with Nordic Visitor. They exceeded my expectations! Prior to the trip, I received a detailed breakdown of hotels and excursions included in the "adventure" self-driving tour that I booked. Upon arriving in Iceland, I received a welcome bag which included a printed copy of my personal itinerary, vouchers for all services booked (including contact info for all vendors), a mobile phone to use in country, and maps with color-coded highlights for 1) my suggested driving route, 2) where my accommodations were each night, and 3) recommended sites to see. Upon picking up my rental car, I received a Wifi hotspot for the car - I didn't realize this was included and it was beyond helpful to be connected, especially as we opted to use Waze instead of the vehicle's GPS. My travel consultant was Katrin and she was always helpful, kind, and quick to respond. Katrin was incredibly service oriented and intent on ensuring we had a good experience. We had a couple of last minute requests (eg wanting to see Puffins) and she was able to work quickly with vendors and advocate on our behalf. So many highlights on this trip but if I had to narrow it down to our favorites, I would say they are the following:
For pre-booked excursions: ATV tour along the South Coast, Zodiac boat ride at the Jokulsarlon Glacier Lagoon, Snowmobile tour at Vatnajokull (Europe's largest glacier), and White-Water Rafting through the scenic gorges of Vestari-Jokulsa.

For Waterfalls - Godafoss (most visually stunning) and Seljalandsfoss (unique walking path behind the waterfall)

For towns to stop in: Vik (basalt rock columns, black sand beach) and Seydisfjordur (very charming town with a rainbow road)

For food: Forretta Barinn in Reykjavik (our best meal of the whole trip), Hafnarbudin in Hofn (yummy fish and chips), Kaffi Lara in Seydisfjordur (delicious and afforable meals)

1  Thank Jamie T