“Shark and Brennevin”

Ranked #49 of 509 Restaurants in Reykjavik
Price range: US$13 - US$20
Cuisines: Scandinavian
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Cafe Loki offer Icelandic meat soup, Icelandic sample plates, homemade bread and cakes. Icelandic traditional homemade dishes are our specialty. You can taste fermented shark and dried fish but Icelandic meat soup and our Icelandic plates are most popular among the Rye Ice cream and Skyr cake. Beautiful view over Reykjavik, Hallgrimskirkja church and to mountain Blafjoll. Icelandic food.
Reviewed 5 weeks ago

Went for the shark and brennevin shot. It was a good value compared to other restaurants I'd seen around. The servers were friendly and willing to entertain some of our questions about the city. Beware that the shark and shot are both gross but very Icelandic.

Reviews (2 344)

44 - 48 of 2 345 reviews

Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

I would recommend people visiting Iceland for the first time so stop in! It's a good spot to get a bunch of "must try's" off your list (Hakárl, Brennivín, dried haddock, etc). That said it's not a locals spot, and it was too hot in the place.

Reviewed 15 October 2017

Café Loki has a distinctive menu of Icelandic food. I had a bowl of the Meat Soup (lamb). Perfect. I sat on the first floor by a window and had a lovely view of the church and the Leif Eiriksson statue.

Reviewed 14 October 2017 via mobile

The rye bread ice cream was unreal!

GO! Eat it! Love it!

The rest of breakfast was yummy too. It's right across the street from the church, so it's the perfect spot before tours.

Reviewed 14 October 2017

First of all, I’m a huge Loki fan – even outside of the comic books, I’ve always found Norse mythology super interesting. Throw in awesome reviews online and its convenient location by Hallgrímskirkja, Café Loki was definitely on my list of places to visit while in Reykjavik.

We stopped in for lunch after visiting the church and had a bit of a wait. There is a ground floor part and a 2nd floor part to the café. The waiting system for each part is separate so if you see the bottom is full, check the top floor.

My sister and I decided to split Icelandic Plate II, which features two slices of rye bread topped with mashed fish and the other with smoked trout, flatbread with smoked lamb, dried fish with butter, and a small sampler of fermented shark. I think I opted for this dish mostly to try the fermented shark. Don’t do it. Just don’t. It’s awful. On the other hand, the mashed fish and smoked trout was delightful and I would definitely eat either of those again.

We also split a pancake with skyr and caramel sauce. Their skyr here is homemade and therefore, does not taste like the store brought kind they sell in the supermarkets. It’s more sour and tart than the prepackaged ones and you definitely need to be a fan of Greek yogurt to enjoy it. I did, my sister did not.

We also ordered their famous Rye Bread Ice Cream to split. It was absolutely delicious. I’m not sure how they managed to make bread ice cream good, but it was pretty darn good. I liked the added texture that the rye bread gave to the ice cream, which is normally very smooth.