“Surprisingly great veggie burger! ”

HOPS beer and burger
Ranked #314 of 2 871 Restaurants in Athens
Price range: US$11 - US$17
Neighbourhood: Koukaki
Description: "HOPS beer and burgers" is located at walking distance from The Acropolis and its museum, as well as the National Museum of Contemporary Art, and right next to FIX metro station. It's an all-day venue, far from the city's noisy haunts. HOPS' menu follows the american model, with hearty salads and premium burgers, complemented with a few classic plates that all beer fans love, like sausages and pork shank. Try The buffalo cheese burger, made from 100% Greek water buffalo, The gorgonzola and onion, with authentic italian gorgonzola, The Philly steak sanwich, one of west coast's favorites, or the Pork shank, slow cooked for hours in beer and orange sauce. Brunch is served daily from 8:00 till 14:00 and is an interesting mix of greek and international tastes. Its over 40 beers will satisfy even the most pretentious customers. Greek microbrewries, Belgian monasteries and international companies, cover a large variety, from exceptional lagers to fruit-flavoured lambics. Try "Er Boqueron", made with sea water, or the greek "Volkan Grey", filtered through Santorini lava rocks and flavoured with Bergamot. HOPS' award-winning bartenders serve the finest beer-based cocktails, and all the classics, every day from 19:00 till late! Don't hesitate to ask the staff's advice. They'll guide you to beer-food combinations that will take your experience to the max!
Reviewed 19 October 2018 via mobile

Popped in here on a rainy September evening as I had just arrived back in Athens to fly home the following day. Was fairly quiet so was served quickly, I had a non alcoholic beer and delicious vegetable burger...much better than many I have had before! Also the fries were very yummy! Filled me up and was reasonable price too. Only shame was mayonnaise was extra to pay so I just had red sauce instead as was included. But this is a cheap and cheerful kinda place.

Reviewed 13 October 2018 via mobile

I’m either the unluckiest customer or these reviews are outrageous.

I turned up for lunch to a pretty empty restaurant and took a seat and had a look through the menu for my options. The buffalo burger sounded good, 100% greek water buffalo. Can’t be bad. So I went with that.

I went to order my drink and both of my preferences were out of stock. Great. So I just went with a standard Czech larger on draught.

Then the burger came - I could see when it arrived that it was clearly undercooked. I know what ‘Medium rare’ is, and this was far from it. The outside of the patty was a light brown, barely charred, and inside was far too pink and spongey. It was ‘warm’, barely hot, and was even further cooled by the tomato and watery lettuce. I get this is a water buffalo patty, but it shouldn’t be this watery. It was pretty fowl. It was served with far too many chips unevenly seasoned so one would be a blast of cayenne seasoning and the next would be plain and soggy.

Beer options were rubbish. Burger was one of the worst ones I’ve ever eaten. The name of this place couldn’t be further from what they serve.

Date of visit: October 2018
Reviewed 15 September 2018

We get good burgers and good service here. There are always some English speakers on staff. The location is often convenient for us so we are regular customers.

Reviewed 13 September 2018 via mobile

Came here to get glass of beer and also took burgers. Hoops beer burger is juicy and tasty! Good choice of bottled beer.

Reviewed 30 August 2018 via mobile

Made a couple of stops here during our stay in Athens and had consistently great food and service. Prices are consistent with the area and fare. Easy walking distance from various parts of the city!

Date of visit: August 2018