“9/29/18: Gracious Staff, Great Food--Vanilla Bistro, Athens”
Review of Vanilla Bistro

Vanilla Bistro
Ranked #31 of 236 Coffee & Tea in Athens
Price range: US$3 - US$34
Cuisines: Greek, Wine Bar
Neighbourhood: Athens Outline
Description: A cozy bistro close to Acropolis...
Reviewed 25 October 2018

After five hours pounding by Hurricane Zorba without eating all day, back at our hotel we were soaked and frozen. My husband couldn't take any more rain (photo 1). Just across the street was Βανίλια (Vanilla) Bistro, so I went to fetch food.

I was immediately given a menu and made to feel at home. It was really obvious that everything was home-cooked with great attention and everyone was proud of the food. The bistro was full of happy locals at 3 in the afternoon even in the downpour. It's a pretty corner location with an outside patio full of trees.

Vanilla has a great menu, omelettes, salads, wide variety of meat and veggie dishes, a beautiful display case with many different home-made desserts—not to mention the variety of drinks and coffees.

I ordered the special, a fantastic roast lamb with spices, mushrooms, and rice (photo 2). But when I asked to take it out, the lovely waitress was shocked. I learned that “take away” is frowned on in Greece, where people are sane and everyone sits to digest at leisure. The staff worked long and carefully to prepare a fine meal--this was not fast food! Heavens no. I apologized and plead that my husband was unwell and there was no food at our hotel, please help!

The waitress showed her kind heart and found some containers. It's a really pretty place, so I sat back waiting happily while they cooked from scratch, gazing with a goofy smile at every patron, architectural, and decorative detail, thinking, “Gosh, we're in Athens!”

I left with a container of tender lamb, another with a big slab of chocolate pie (photo 3), and a “filtered coffee” for two in my tall travel mug from back home. The tiramisu also looked delicious.

Coffee in Greece starts at espresso strength and gets stronger; de-caf seems unheard-of; and it was late in the day. “Filtered coffee” means American style, but it's still very strong, so I asked for half to be hot milk. (Do bring a travel mug. Greeks don't like take-out coffee, either, and may not have paper cups.)

What a wonderful dinner we had!

Reviewed 13 October 2018 via mobile

Perfect atmosphere. I can tell that everything we had was prepared with care and love. I got the feeling I was having brunch at a friend's house! I recommend: Scrambled eggs, sandwich, fried eggs, fresh orange juice, latte. My only problem is I'm leaving Athens and I will probably not get the chance to go back and try more dishes! Good job guys! Keep up the good work! Thank you.

Date of visit: October 2018
Garine A, Management of social media at Vanilla Bistro at Vanilla Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded 23 October 2018

Dear Constantia,
Thank you much for your positive review. It's is very meaningful for us because we keep up doing what we love!
Have a great day and we hope to see you soon.

Best regards,

Vanilia bistro team

Reviewed 25 September 2018 via mobile

Got a take away smoothie which was nice. Breakfast looked good and hopefully will be able to grab some another day. This cafe has long hours that it is open and it’s nice to go at basically any time to grab a coffee or a cocktail.

Reviewed 16 September 2018 via mobile

Friendly, fast service. Good food. Great corner location with trees on sidewalk. American music but plenty of locals here.

Reviewed 3 June 2018 via mobile

Buried in a nice little neighborhood, this restaurant is lttle gem! Thw servers are cool ans very attentive to details...kudos to my server Fani for noticing the table was a little uneven. Food is served with home made butter and jam. Good greek coffee. Recommended

Date of visit: June 2018
Garine A, Management of social media at Vanilla Bistro at Vanilla Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2018

Hi Jeffrey,

It is always our pleasure to host people. Thank you for your review!

Best regards, Vanilia bistro team