This is an expensive but very good hotel. We were disappointed with archaic plumbing but the service and character were fine. However. All the “in-house” prices were ridiculous. Bar prices were way above the norm for five star drinking. Tea at 5 euros a cup?
The biggest disappointment was the one Michelin star restaurant. We enjoyed the tasting menu although other guests felt that it was pretty average (different night). The cost was pretty much the same as Alain Ducasse at the Dorchester!
Guests voted with their feet and ate / drank elsewhere.
The concierge service was well below average with indifference and misleading information.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set on cliff tops overlooking the Bay of Funchal and the Atlantic Ocean, this legendary hotel has, for over a century, been a standard-bearer for excellence. The hotel is located on 10 acres of subtropical gardens, boasts enviable access to the sea and is within walking distance of Funchal's shops, restaurants and night-life. With its reputation for excellence and discreet service, Belmond Reid's Palace is the ideal place at which to relax and be pampered. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Belmond Reid's Palace reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Reid`s Palace By Orient-Express Hotel Funchal
- Reids Palace Funchal
- Reids Palace Hotel Funchal