“A cool experience!”

Book In Advance
More Info
US$118,32*
and up
Lisbon Shore Excursion: Private Lisbon, Sintra...
Ranked #23 of 138 Food & Drink in Lisbon
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Imagine that a good old friend of yours lives in Lisbon. Imagine that he knows the city like few people do. Imagine that he owns a cool old Convertible Beetle. Now stop imagining. We're here. We're real. We're Lisbon by Beetle.
Reviewed 28 June 2018

This experience has 2 dimensions: the ride in an open top old Beetle and the guided tour of places of interest. We enjoyed the ride but less the guided tour. Our guide was knowledgeable and pleasant but took us a bit "for a ride"! We could not hear what he said when we were driving because of the open top. And we had selected to go to Sintra with the Beetle on a Monday, without knowing that all museums are closed in Lisbon on Mondays and therefore all tourists go to Sintra that day! This gave our driver/guide the opportunity to decide where and what to see. He took us to Cascais, Esoril, Oeiras and Alges, where we spent most of the time, and rather fast through Lisbon. The tour offers the advantage of the privacy, a one to one discussion with the guide/driver and a prompt move from one place to the other. If you plan to book this ride, you should know that the temperature in Sintra is often much lower than in Lisbon and that this ride with an open top may be extremely cold. The driver offers blankets, but it is still rather fresh!

All reviews
"guide ricardo"
in 6 reviews
"amazing adventure"
in 2 reviews
"westernmost point of europe"
"great tour"
"highlight of our trip"
"guided tour"
"a lot of fun"
in 3 reviews
"would highly recommend this tour"
"custard tart"

Reviewed 29 May 2018 via mobile

This was one unforgettable day. We got picked up from our respective hotels by Patricia with her yellow open top 1972 Beetle. We were chaperoned throughout the day - Sintra with its charming Pena palace, the straight-out-of-a- fairy tale castle, the westernmost point of Europe , the drive through the very posh looking Cascais , some cliffs overlooking the Atlantic Ocean ( Portugals’s own Great Ocean Road drive ) and the yummy Pasties de Belem ( custard tarts - warm inside , crispy outside ).
The views are breathtaking. Patricia gave us a perspective to things in Portugal that I suspect no tourist website could. If you are in Portugal , this should be the high point of your tour.

Reviewed 28 May 2018

What an amazing experience , Just imagine a convoy of 17 multicoloured open top Loud VW Beetles zooming through the streets of Cascais. We went from Cascais to capo de roca, then onwards to Sintra Forrest ( Beautiful ) and finally finished off at he Pena Palace : Palácio da Pena. Fantastic day out with the most memorable rides. thank you Marta and all the organisers.

Reviewed 20 May 2018

People never picked us up. They claimed they spoke to me in my hotel, (wasn't even checked in since I came to hotel from cruise ship). and I cancelled.
Hotel called tour company in my behalf and they never picked up the phone. I have proof from Four Season in Lisbon that company never responded to their calls.
Viatour (tripadvisor) believed tour and refused to give me my money back.
Lucky for me, my credit card company believed me.
Therefore, I would never use Viatour or believe Tripadvisor again.

BoostPortugal, Gestor de Relações Públicas at Lisbon by Beetle, responded to this reviewResponded 25 May 2018

Hello mlinker2018,

We’re sorry to hear your bad experience.
We take all of our customer’s reviews very seriously and as such we've conducted an internal survey with our staff in order to clarify the situation.
This is our position on what happened according to the tour guide responsible for your tour:

“I arrived at the Hotel at 09h50 for a 10h00 pick-up. I walked to the reception which is the procedure for hotel pick ups and asked the receptionist to call the customer to let them know I was waiting downstairs. The receptionist have me the phone as she looked confused and I spoke to the customer. I asked the customer to confirm her name and phone number and she then told me she had no tour reserved. I told her I found it strange that there could be 2 people staying at the hotel with the same name. She told me again she didn't order any tour so I left. I waited 20 minutes outside the hotel while our office tried to call her with no success.”

This was an unusual situation where we were both harmed, it is a pity that it results in such a bad evaluation for us.
We apologize for any inconvenience or grievance we may have caused you during your stay in Lisbon and hopefully will be able to host you once again and show you a great time in the future!
Kind regards,