“Global Big Day in Portugal!”

Birds & Nature Tours
Ranked #7 of 229 Outdoor Activities in Lisbon
More attraction details
Owner description: Birds & Nature Tours is the first Portuguese company specifically dedicated to birds and birding tours.We offer you a wide variety of programmes, including guided birding tours, photographic tours, bird-dedicated courses and birding trips outside Portugal
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

My husband and I had only one day to bird the Lisbon area on our way home from Spain. We contacted Joao Jara whom we had met at a birding festival in Texas. His colleague Betty was our guide for 12 wonderful hours of birding. Betty was extremely knowledgeable, personable and had a plan to get us as many birds as possible in our limited time. She succeeded beyond our expectations! We visited many habitats but never felt rushed. She was superb at explaining the differences between similar species and went out of her way to make sure we saw the field marks on tricky ids.We would love to come back and bird with Betty or any of her colleagues some time. Highly recommended!

All reviews
in 5 reviews
"short toed"
in 5 reviews

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Excellent! We started on the Tagus estuary that I already knew from a previous visit in the fall of 2010. This time we were even happier to use and have lunch at a new facility (evoa) for bird watching with trails and looking cabins over lagunas. Then went north and east to the rugged countryside bordering Spain. There, in the international Tagus Nature Park we saw eagles, vultures, black storks, warblers. Further north we went to the international Douro Nature Park. Helder, our guide, ever attentive to our needs, would identify the birds by song or form and then show them on the scope. In Spain we visited Salamanca with its impressive 18th century Plaza Mayor. North of it we saw more than 50 great bustards, with a a male in full courtship display. On the day before our way back Helder found an eagle owl, its nest with 2 owlets on the bluff facing our hotel. The scenery, food, lodging and pace of the visit was most pleasant.throughout

Reviewed 22 May 2018 via mobile

I had an amazing day, full of life birds for me and beautiful views while searching for birds. Joao is extremely knowledgeable both of local birds and technical aspects of bird id (behavior, habitat, calls/songs). Even though I had only 1 day available to see the Alentejo region, Joao made the most of every minute to maximize the number of species on my desired species list. This was truly a road trip and adventure as it includes mountain tops for birds of prey/raptors, countryside for bee eaters and roller and some back roads to the remarkable Little and Great Bustards. Joao set up the scope at each opportunity to ensure I didn’t miss birds in flight so I could observe their marking details for ID and to see the patterns as they glided. Hearing the Hoopoe song and watching it perched on the fence was one of many highlights. Watching the Golden Eaglets in the nest was breathtaking. I highly recommend this region for nature lovers and serious birders, and you certainly can’t find a greater expert committed to his trade than Joao.

Reviewed 22 May 2018

I had a wonderful time traveling through southern Portugal with friends. The hotels were comfortable; the food very good and plentiful; and the birds, well, we missed only a very few species that we looked for.
Helder was an excellent guide; I wish more guides had the care for each of us that he showed for every aspect of the trip. I had a wonderful time. The hotels were comfortable; the food very good and plentiful; and the birds, well, we missed only a very few that we looked for.
João took me every step of the way from signing up for the tour, to answering all of my questions and concerns, and responded to all of my inquiries within 24 hours!
I hope I have a chance to tour again with Birds & Nature Tours.