See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 20 August 2017 via mobile

Having visited 2 years ago, I was looking forward to staying once again. However my enthusiasm soon disappeared. Having booked on the central reservation for 'The Duna Parque Hotel Group' for a particular date, I arrived to find that they had no details for my visit until the following day. They eventually found a room which was in dire need of refurbishment, the following day I was moved into my allocated room.
I found the hotel very 'tired' and needs work on it to improve its standards. The staff were friendly and helpful and could not apologise enough for the hotel. However it is strange to see the receptionist, working behind the bar, ordering bar stock and dealing with customers, one person cannot do all of these jobs!
The pool was good but the bar at the pool, which was once a busy place, has been closed down and I needed to go to the reception to order a drink, not my idea of hospitality. The restaurant was also disappointing, I was looking to choosing something from the menu to be told that they only served a buffet!
This hotel can do much better.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends
2  Thank Trudy R
Reviewed 12 August 2017

The garden and swimming pool area are nicely arranged but the quality of the food is quite weak. The carpaccio was actually a salad with a few slices of meat and the pasta dish far too greasy. The waiter did his best but couldn't speak any English or French, a little Spanish only ( which is quite unfortunate for a 4-stars hotel). We can't tell about the hotel per se since we only had lunch there.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 October 2016 via mobile

Spent 3 nights here touring minas de Sao domingos itself and then pomaro on the Guadiana, serpa and mertola. Hotel was busy at the weekend but lots of space and large pool terrace for sunbathing. We had a 'superior room' in the old part of the hotel and this was large and comfortable with a huge marble bathroom and jacuzzi bath and separate walk in shower. Breakfast was good and we had one dinner in the hotel which was fine and reasonably priced.
Staff were most helpful in their own unique way.
There is an observatory as part of the hotel in the new wing for stargazing as little light pollution and clear skies.
Despite its quirks we loved it.

Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple
5  Thank PeterADH
Reviewed 29 July 2016 via mobile

An incredible place ( a very large old monastery ) which has been transformed into an hotel 20 years ago .
They did not do a very good job at that time and now you see it even more.
A bit a dead place .
Probably because it is out of the main flow of a region rich with beautiful places, it is managed at the minimum level of expenses . It I understandable but unfortunate .
Stills place you will not regret to choose.

Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
3  Thank cesare c
Reviewed 20 June 2016

The Alantejo is a wonderful area. This is a lovely hotel in a beautiful part by a lake (with a beach) near the very nice town of Mertola. The Hotel has beautiful grounds a great swimming pool and a lovely terrace. It also has a very nice pool. The common parts are very nice. We had upgraded our room to Superior and it had a really nice bathroom (Everything you need in it)and separate toilet and plenty of space. it also had a fridge, safe, air con and plenty of space for hanging and shelves. These comprise seven rooms in the main building and have high ceilings. They are named after planets and 1 to 7. Breakfast is a buffet and perfectly acceptable. There is some eggs, ham and sausage. The bread is particularly good. It is served in quite a small area. Dinner is served in a nice dining room or on a very nice terrace. The seats on the terrace could benefit from cushions and i thought the coffee was not the best. The food served at dinner was pretty average but the setting made up for that. The service was very good but there was not a lot of English spoken. We really enjoyed our stay and would return. There are some nice restaurants for lunch in Mertola but it is a bit touristy and busy.

Room Tip: It is worth upgrading to superior rooms as they are really well appointed and spacious and still good value
  • Stayed: June 2016, travelled with friends