“Lunchtime drinks and evening meal”
Review of The Red Lion

The Red Lion
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

We visited this pub a few times over the four Easter days where we stayed locally. We had one evening meal, standard pub food quite enjoyable and had a few beers there. Beers not the best but generally the pub very nice. Would visit again and eat there, staff all very pleasant.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

WE popped out one night from our self catering hotel to try some of the local cuisine, and had earmarked this pub as it wasn't too far from where we were staying. From the moment we walked through the door the staff were friendly and helpful. It's an old building, about 500 years old, and the atmosphere was what you might expect from such an old pub in the middle of some old Cornish village. We chose a secluded little table and then ordered some local food. When it arrived it was large and extremely tasty. They also have a wide selection of Rums and Whiskeys on offer, so I tried a local Rum, a double, for just £3, to help wash down my delicious meal. If you're ever passing near Mawnan Smith in Cornwall then please make the effort to go to this pub. The beer, rum and food are well worth it, and you'll be served by the friendliest pub staff I've met in a long time! Well done team!

Reviewed 20 March 2018

Visited one lunch time with relatives and found this lovely 'Old world Pub' in this out of the way village. Lovely atmosphere and the food could not have been better.
Two of us had the Steak and ale Pie which came piping hot from the oven with lovely crispy pastry and more meat inside than we could manage. Wonderful chips and mushy Peas to compliment. The other guest had Salmon in saffron sauce also well cooked, presented and enjoyed. The third guest had Scampi, chips and peas which came well presented and was enjoyed. The whole meal was served within twenty minutes so no waiting and staff pleasant and helpful. Would certainly recommend and visit again.

Reviewed 22 January 2018

Service was very good, and that is where it ended. We were a small group and the roast dinner was served in what a lot of people would call a large soup bowl I had the chicken dinner the meat was so over cooked to the point it was dry and tough the potatoes were a very small roasted one again so small they were hard slightly over cooked Yorkshire puddings the vegetables were served in a small dish and well cooked but small portions. I'm glad I didn't have gravy like my other members of the party as the roast potatoes were submerged it was a ridiculous amount rather pointless having roast potatoes. The public house seem to have friendly atmosphere in the other bar area but the area I was in was cold and uninviting not a place I would visit again or recommended.

2  Thank George C
Reviewed 13 January 2018 via mobile

Visited the red lion again after having a lovely meal before so decided to bring my dad for his birthday. Service very was poor, staff member was inattentive. There was no enquiry how our meal was, didn't come back after serving us our food. The salt and pepper came out quickly and poured out way to quickly, the pepper had an awful smell which clearly was off and hadn't been changed in a long time. All of us were freezing cold on a wet winters day of which they didn't have the heating on. We will not be returning again. Needs to improve largely on customer service.

2  Thank Vicky H