“British & Tasty”
Review of Kensington

Kensington
Ranked #788 of 1 482 Restaurants in The Hague
Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

The Title could sound strange but indeed after walking through Den Haag while on vacation, we had the desire to take a tea break and leisure into that place.

Very british setting we clearly found the place we wanted. We both took Blueberry scones and they were marvelous. A firm crust and a soft, crumbly texture. Served with cream and Jam...
That was a long time we did not get such wonderful pieces.

Keep it up!

Reviewed 13 February 2016 via mobile

Loved the ambience and the staff are super. Home made scones.. yummy with cream and jam. Cake looked divine too

Reviewed 17 January 2016 via mobile

Visiting Kensington is always a nice break of the hustle and busyness if the day out in town. Richard will make you feel comfortable and special if you visit. The menu offers a nice variety of sandwiches, salads, teas, coffee, cakes, delicious pies and scones.
I was visiting with my sisters in law and they were delighted by the charm of the place. Richard offered us the combination of tea with sandwiches and scones with cream and jam. It was delicious!
The place is a bit cramped and you have to "mind your step" when getting in or leaving but it is definitely worth a recommendation.

Reviewed 23 November 2015

Great English breakfast, lovely quaint decor and exceptional service.

Visited this week with a friend as the craving for an English breakfast had gotten the better of me and she was visiting The Hague for the first time. The breakfast was lovely, cooked to perfection and a decent portion.

Tea was served in a lovely vintage tea pot and was topped up without request which in my eyes is a winner! No such thing as too much tea!

But what really made the experience 5 star was the man who served us, I believe he is the owner. It felt like having breakfast at a friends house! He chatted away to us, made jokes and really went the extra mile to make us feel welcome. Something which is a bit of an alien concept in The Netherlands for the most part.

I would recommend this to anyone wanting a decent breakfast and excellent customer service.

Reviewed 3 January 2015 via mobile

Let me explain my title. I have been to the owner-Richard's previous places, both the scallywags cafe and restaurant. This is a rebranding of scallywags cafe. So nothing new for people that have been to scallywags. This place is known for scones, english tea style experience, kitsch decor and "the owner Richard". There are a lot of people that rave about the scones. But for my standard, it is just rather average. As a once-a-year baker, i can actually bake better ones myself. But sometimes you just want others to do that for you. Compared to other cafes in town, this is a unique one with consistent quality all the time, probably the only place i would want to spend my money for breakfast/brunch outside of home. You would just know what to expect. The owner richard bakes the pastry items fresh everyday (at least for the times that i have been to, usually on weekends). You get freshly baked and made food for sure. If you are cheeky enough, you might stand a chance for a entertaining conversation with Richard. He is quirky with big lersonality. you either love him or you just dont. Some may feel very offended. Its always for good laugh and I never take it personal. But hey, there are regulars that come in for a tea and conversation (only if hes free). I feel that the items is quite pricey for cafe standard and its not even organic or any highly techinical pastry. Just so you know. But its ok for once in a while experience because there is no place like this in the hague. Other Dutch style toast breakfast places available in town are just dead boring. If you want posh high tea, please go to Des Indes, which i havent been so cant comment on. If you want a laid back sunday brunch with decent english high tea, this could be an option. Cant say great, but just "yeah...ok" i guess. Come early before the 12 noon crowd