“Terrible!”

Ranked #283 of 1 189 Restaurants in Rotterdam
Price range: US$11 - US$40
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Reservations
Description: My late father started this restaurant in 1963 and that makes the Hong Kong restaurant the oldest in town. It has a unique, old fashioned interior. With only 50 seats, it is also one of the smallest restaurants in town, and it has a cosy, relaxing atmosphere with jazz background music. This is the ideal spot to relax or have a chat with your friends while you enjoy our food and atmosphere. The restaurant is conveniently located within walking distance of the railway station, the major hotels and theatres. For your convenience, menus are available in English, French and German, and I can handle basic communication in these languages myself. Menus are also available in Japanese. The restaurant is famous for Peking duck with pancakes, but that is certainly not the only speciality that will impress you ! Welcome ! Hope to see you soon ! Your Host, Lucas.
Reviewed 2 March 2018 via mobile

The meat we ordered (duck & pork) was supposed to be roasted but seemed/tasted more deep fried.. had no flavour other than grease in each mouthful! Ordered a side dish of green veg/Pak Choi which only arrived once reminded waitress we’d ordered it & by that time had finished the main - veg also tasted extremely greasy! Despite the restaurant being half empty & still trying to enjoy our drinks we felt rushed to leave when declining any further service/food/drinks etc. Unfortunately wouldn’t return or recommend.

Reviewed 18 February 2018 via mobile

The location is very good, 5 min walk from the train station. The venue looks really old but has some character and is totally functional. The food was nothing to write home about. I would say that it's below average, considering the prices asked. The plates we ordered were: Super market quality spring rolls served on a funny/miserable bed of lettuce. Beijing duck that was not crispy but ok-ish. The sesame chicken was quite good but a little bit dry. Steamed rice was nice. The fried rice was one of the worse I ve ever tasted and believe me I have tried a loooot. It wasn't fried enough and you could feel the uncooked oil. The service was very fast and friendly but since the food was not good I am not going back there.

Reviewed 16 February 2018 via mobile

I tried to call to book a table for ten. They were very nice until they found out that I had four children in my party. He said, "we don't serve to children" and hung up. I was a bit surprised because I thought I heard him wrong, so I called back. He refused you speak to me again and asked someone else to tell me the same thing. I couldn't even ask why before that person hung up on me as well.

I guess they should put up warning signs about about rude they'd be if you had children in your party. Or that they don't like to serve to children as well.

1  Thank mtanbrainz
Reviewed 8 January 2018

Traditional Chinese restaurant on Central Westersingel, opposite Kruisplein tram stop and walkable from Rotterdam Centraal train station.
Lucas Chon, the proprietor, meets and greets, there’s an interesting varied menu and the food is beautifully cooked and served piping hot.
If you are a devotee of good Chinese food, the Hong Kong will not disappoint.

Reviewed 2 November 2017 via mobile

This food is just great, good and entertaining service too. Very caring and with great sense of humour.

We need to come here more often. They also got a beautiful fish tank.

Tjoy Sam veggies on garlic, with noodles and fried duck, excellent!