See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 14 October 2016

My wife and I wanted a relaxing vacation. What we got while in Leiden was an aggravating experience with an overly controlling hotel owner. He wanted to know when we were leaving and returning. He kept knocking on our door for various reasons. He criticized us for not enjoying his breakfast basket containing a variety of crackers. If he had left the hotel management to his staff, we would have had a pleasant stay.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 October 2016 via mobile

The owner is the Donald Trump of the Netherlands. We believe he inflates his reviews because he blocked us from reviewing him on booking.com. He did this by lying--claiming we were "no show." The room photos on his website are deceptive.
I will never forget his bone crushing greeting handshake. When I cried out in pain, the owner laughed that his wife also complained about him being too rough. Indeed, what a scary, rough, authoritarian person!

Date of stay: May 2016
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 June 2016

I will be honest and say that I cannot comment on the actual customer service once at the hotel as I never actually got there. My issue is that due to a family emergency I cancelled the hotel at 2302 on Tues 31st May when we were due to arrive on Fri 3rd June. I was surprised to receive an automated e-mail saying I would be charged 417 Euros (full amt) when I believed it was free cancellation 2 days prior to check in. Agreed this was a mistake on my part as I hadn't taken into account the 1 hr time difference. However the most shocking part was the complete rudeness of the response from the hotel manager/owner who was completely unwilling to comprise and be reasonable when my cancellation was due a family issue and that in actual fact it was 2 minutes after the local time cancellation. When I looked at other trip advisor reviews I discovered others experiences that were similar. If I hadn't experienced this myself I would have thought it was probably just some people being extremely negative. A tiny bit of flexibility in today's world would be most appreciated.

• Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 1 June 2016 via mobile

As a family of 4 we were really pleased with our sizeable room which was a suite of two interconnecting rooms with an en suite, table and four chairs and a sofa. The shower was fantastic - lots of pressure and hot water. The whole place was friendly and very clean. We opted for the breakfast which came on a tray to our room and was particularly popular on the first morning when the eggs arrived with smiley faces
drawn on - very important when you are 8! It was a nice touch for a family with children. Staff were welcoming and helpful. The location was brilliant - a short walk into the main city. A refreshing change from hotels in which it is hard to tell which city you are in. Recommended

Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 23 May 2015

The hotel is in a very nice house from 1907, with character. Decor is clean and stylish. Owner is helpful and efficient and gave us some great tips on places to go. Wifi, loads of hot water, tea making faciliites, nice clean and comfortable room. Very close to station but still in quiet and pleasant area. No bar, restaurant etc - but far better to go out in Leiden.

Date of stay: May 2015