See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 14 October 2016 via mobile

The owner is the Donald Trump of the Netherlands. We believe he inflates his reviews because he blocked us from reviewing him on booking.com. He did this by lying--claiming we were "no show." The room photos on his website are deceptive.
I will never forget his bone crushing greeting handshake. When I cried out in pain, the owner laughed that his wife also complained about him being too rough. Indeed, what a scary, rough, authoritarian person!

Date of stay: May 2016
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 June 2016

I will be honest and say that I cannot comment on the actual customer service once at the hotel as I never actually got there. My issue is that due to a family emergency I cancelled the hotel at 2302 on Tues 31st May when we were due to arrive on Fri 3rd June. I was surprised to receive an automated e-mail saying I would be charged 417 Euros (full amt) when I believed it was free cancellation 2 days prior to check in. Agreed this was a mistake on my part as I hadn't taken into account the 1 hr time difference. However the most shocking part was the complete rudeness of the response from the hotel manager/owner who was completely unwilling to comprise and be reasonable when my cancellation was due a family issue and that in actual fact it was 2 minutes after the local time cancellation. When I looked at other trip advisor reviews I discovered others experiences that were similar. If I hadn't experienced this myself I would have thought it was probably just some people being extremely negative. A tiny bit of flexibility in today's world would be most appreciated.

Date of stay: June 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 1 June 2016 via mobile

As a family of 4 we were really pleased with our sizeable room which was a suite of two interconnecting rooms with an en suite, table and four chairs and a sofa. The shower was fantastic - lots of pressure and hot water. The whole place was friendly and very clean. We opted for the breakfast which came on a tray to our room and was particularly popular on the first morning when the eggs arrived with smiley faces
drawn on - very important when you are 8! It was a nice touch for a family with children. Staff were welcoming and helpful. The location was brilliant - a short walk into the main city. A refreshing change from hotels in which it is hard to tell which city you are in. Recommended

Date of stay: June 2016
Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 23 May 2015

The hotel is in a very nice house from 1907, with character. Decor is clean and stylish. Owner is helpful and efficient and gave us some great tips on places to go. Wifi, loads of hot water, tea making faciliites, nice clean and comfortable room. Very close to station but still in quiet and pleasant area. No bar, restaurant etc - but far better to go out in Leiden.

Date of stay: May 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
3  Thank Philippa396
Reviewed 3 May 2015

The reviews on TA were extremely mixed, so I'll just give the facts here and people can decide if they want to give it a shot.

Location: A previous post by DWM1875 gave very clear directions from the train station. Use the rear exit of the train station and it is at most 10 minutes walk with luggage on a flat and smooth path. Bus terminal is next to the train station.

Getting to city center: Cut through the train station; no need to scan tickets as the gates are always open and most people do so.

Supermarket: There is a Jumbo opposite the train station front exit. Opening hours attached in photo. Another ALDI near Jumbo.

Breakfast: Did not get from hotel but saw what was being prepared. Does not look like it's worth the price. Get something from the supermarket or have a nice breakfast at the cafes near central area.

Hotel facilities: Outside of the room, I don't really care what they have, but the elevator is a lifesaver for old people and luggage. Yes, it's small, but you don't have to lug your suitcase up that tiny winding staircase. Be aware that the hotel is very small so there isn't space for much more. Luggage storage may not be available, but there are limited lockers at Leiden Centraal station. Prices attached in photo. Go early if you need large lockers.

Room: We got the standard triple room which was spacious, bright and clean. Three single beds which were okay comfortable (or we might have been too tired to notice anything; at least the old folks did not end up with a backache). Small fridge and electric kettle provided. The pictures show a stove but no cooking is allowed. There were many power sockets available for our many electronic devices. Safe box in the room, full length mirror, no slippers or box tissue. Wifi was reliable and free.

Bathroom & toilet: Clean and well-lit. No heating in the bathroom but manageable in April. Water heater was strong, consistent and lasted well even after three people taking their showers. Water pressure also strong and drainage was good, no clogging. Shower curtain a little short, but if we were careful it was possible to keep the bathroom dry. Shampoo and handwash available, but bring all other toiletries yourself. Toilet paper sufficient with spare roll everyday. Hairdryer available.

Random tips:
(1) Owner is around in the morning to prepare breakfast and do housekeeping. Rest of the day he may not be in.
(2) Payment in full when checking in; if he is not around you can self-check-in and pay the next morning. Owner was not in when we arrived and we had no local phone. But there was a voice box at the door for communicating with him and we followed the instructions to obtain our key for entering our room.
(3) Despite the price of the room, there is a sign that says 500 euro notes are not accepted (like most places in Netherlands, even the airport train station).
(4) Buffer some time to talk to the owner when going out in the morning, or if you need to make payment. We actually missed our bus because we couldn't get out.
(5) They charged my credit card with 0.01euro even though it said no payment needed. For preauthorization I suppose, but I rather they didn't.

Verdict: It was an expensive stay (at that time more expensive than Ibis and Tulip Inn which are nearer to the train station), but there was nothing bad about the stay. The owner can get a little particular and uptight, but things are run pretty well generally. The environment was quiet and felt safe even after dark. Given the limited accommodation options during tulip season and the overall high prices for hotels, I would say this hotel is reasonably comfortable and enjoyable.

Date of stay: April 2015