See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 10 January 2015

I really couldn't imagine a better bed & breakfast experience! Griet is so welcoming & warm - even our toddler was enamored of her. The bright, comfortable apartment is delightfully furnished with interesting objects & a fabulous collection of books in various languages. Breakfast was delicious, and Griet even had a little treat waiting for our son each morning.

The location is great, too - a quiet area, yet within a short & picturesque walk of central Leiden. Pieterskerk is just around the corner, as are abundant lovely restaurants. We took day trips into Delft and Amsterdam, which are very easily accessible from Leiden. In fact, it made me wonder why I've stayed in Amsterdam in the past. We will absolutely try to book Salomon's Room for our next trip to Amsterdam - no chance we'd find anything this charming there, especially for the price.

I hesitate to reiterate this, because I'm not sure whether Griet wishes to emphasize the family angle (she does have a lot of beautiful and delicate objects in the apartment, and she & Wim live directly below), but she is absolutely wonderful with children. We really felt like we were a part of the family while we were there, and she never made us feel like our jet-lagged little boy was a bother. If your children are reasonably calm, I would recommend this as the perfect family spot.

Room Tip: There is only one room, so you may wish to book as soon as you know your plans.
  • Stayed: December 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank emilie708
Reviewed 22 June 2014

I stayed at Salomon's Room for three nights while on a vacation throughout Europe. I could not have found a better place to stay! Trying to book a stay here seemed like a no-brainer after reading all of these positive reviews. There's definitely a reason why everyone loves this place. It's in a quiet and relaxing part of Leiden, but still very close to the center of town. There are plenty of excellent restaurants for lunch and dinner just steps from Salomon's Room, but you will always start your day off with an amazing and elaborate breakfast, served by the owner, Griet.

The bedroom is cozy and spacious and the living room is huge, comfortable and beautifully decorated. For someone traveling alone in a country they've never been to, I felt right at home at Salomon's Room. Griet is an amazing host, and she even invited a friend of mine from the area to come over for breakfast. I will easily recommend Salomon's Room to anyone (single traveler or family) looking for a place to stay in the Netherlands. Also, it's very quick to get to Amsterdam by train from Leiden, so day trips to Amsterdam from Salomon's room can be done with ease. I will certainly come back to Salomon's Room next time I visit to Holland!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 27 April 2014

Just return from the perfect Easter break in beautiful Leiden. Griet (Alma) and Wim are wonderful hosts who treat their guests like family, doing everything possible to make our stay as special as can be. The spotlessly clean apartment is bright and spacious and filled with wonderful books and works of art. Griet's generous breakfasts are delicious and her poffertjes were a delight. Leiden is the perfect base for visiting Amsterdam, Keukenhof, Delft, The Hague and of course beautiful Leiden itself, an absolute treasure of a town without the tourist hoards of Amsterdam, only a short train ride away. Do yourself a favour and stay with Griet and Wim and not only have the perfect hassle free holiday but also make some lovely new friends.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Loupivac
Reviewed 31 March 2014

Situated in a beautiful and central location in Leiden, Solomon's room is the perfect B&B! It's not just a room, but a whole appartment, fully equiped with a beautifully decorated spacious living room and its own bathroom. Apart from the beautiful space, the most important is the B&B's hostess, Alma. Her warm, friendly but also descrete character made us love talking with her, over the amazing breakfast she offered. She was so hospitable, that she even invited our daughter, who studies in Leiden, to come over for breakfast twice! We will be definately going back again soon!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 March 2014

My husband and I traveled to Leiden to visit our son who's doing his semester abroad at Leiden University. We were enchanted by this quaint town and had a perfect experience staying at Salomon's Room B&B! Alma, the owner, is the perfect host. She's warm and friendly and we ended up having long conversations at the breakfast table while she served us a very abundant and delicious breakfast: breads, croissants, cheeses, eggs, yoghurt with muesli and honey, poffertjes, coffee etc. all accompanied by soft music and candle light. Alma even invited our son over, so he could have breakfast with us! The "bedroom" is actually not a mere room but it's the whole top floor of Alma and Wim's house. It's an apartment with a bedroom, bathroom, living room and a small rooftop porch. It's full of light and the decor is tasteful and eclectic with many books, collections and plants. It's very quiet, no traffic at all. The bed is comfortable, the rooms and bathroom are clean, and there is free WiFi and even a computer with printer for your convenience. This B&B is located right in the heart of historic Leiden,within walking distance to museums, downtown shops, restaurants, canal walks. and the train station, which makes it very convenient to take day trips to The Hague and Amsterdam. This was one of the best Bed & Breakfast experiences I have ever had, and I highly recommend it! Thanks Alma for making our staying in Leiden so comfortable and pleasant!

Room Tip: It's not just a bedroom it's a whole apartment to yourself!!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family