“Just okay”

Ranked #27 of 116 Dessert in Amsterdam
Price range: US$6 - US$16
Cuisines: Dutch
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Neighbourhood: Canal Ring (Grachtengordel)
Description: Amsterdams oldest pancake house opened its doors in 1973 in a former 17th century VOC warehouse, situated on Prinsengracht 191. Soon it became the pleasant and cosy restaurant which it still is today, a place where both young and old feel at home right away. The building called ‘Hoop’ (Hope) is one of the three buildings that were all in possession of the powerful and prosperous Dutch East India Company (VOC), from left to right ‘Geloof’ (‘Faith’), ‘Hoop’ and ‘Liefde’ (‘Love’). In this Dutch Golden Age Calvinism was at its peak, and faith and business often went hand in hand. From this point of view the names of these warehouses are not unusual. The buildings are situated on the Prinsengracht (Prince’s canal), named after the Prince of Orange, and form part of the well known Amsterdam Canal District.
Reviewed 15 September 2018

Food came after a 40 minute wait. Really hyped to try out this place, but unfortunately the slow service ruined the food for me. The pancake itself came in a good portion, otherwise can’t say the flavour blew my mind. The service wasn’t great either. A lot of the time, we had trouble getting attention of the staff which left us feeling unattented and ignored.

Review collected in partnership with this restaurant
Write a ReviewReviews (3 689)

131 - 135 of 3 689 reviews

Reviewed 13 September 2018 via mobile

This was quite a find! We were tired of cheese and bread meals. You’ll love it here! Delicious!!! Sugar+lemon+fresh strawberries!!!!

Reviewed 13 September 2018

A great breakfast spots with some of the best omelettes and pancakes we've ever had! I'd go back if I had more time on my trip.

Review collected in partnership with this restaurant
Reviewed 12 September 2018

This review is strictly for the pancakes that my friend and I have ordered. It's not good here compare to Pancake amsterdam which I highly recommend. I don't know what's the hype is about for this place. The staffs here are extremely nice! But the pancake itself isn't good.

Reviewed 11 September 2018 via mobile

Came here to fill up before our long bike ride out out in the countryside. I ordered the ham & cheese pancake (about €11) whilst my husband ordered the pancake breakfast which came with a coffee & orange juice (about €12). They were massive! We could have shared one to be honest! Service was quick and pancakes were good.