“Quirky restaurant but pricey”
Review of Van Kerkwijk

Van Kerkwijk
Ranked #97 of 4 392 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Price range: US$15 - US$45
Cuisines: European, Dutch
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Red Light District (De Wallen)
Description: Van Kerkwijk, situated at the Nes 41 just behind Dam square, is a classic Amsterdam cafe and restaurant where you can eat and drink from early in the morning till late in the evening. Van Kerkwijk sisters have chosen a personal approach. That's why a menu doesn't exist and your options are presented at the table by your waiter. Van Kerkwijk stands for quality food and drinks in an urban atmosphere. Characteristic, easy going, value for money. You feel at home between the regular customers who keep returning for the varied menu and the relax atmosphere. Van Kerkwijk doesn't take reservations, walk in for a table or wait at the bar with a good beer or wine.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

This is a great place for a couple to go for a nice meal. The place is small and cosy with only 15 or so tables. The service staff are really friendly and work very hard.
The menu changes every day so the service staff explain what’s in offer to you. Problem is they don’t tell you the prices until the end.
Two starters, two mains, a couple of drinks and one pudding came to 80 euros. The food was nice but not that nice for 80 euros.

1  Thank davidbrown86
Write a ReviewReviews (2 128)

11 - 15 of 2 129 reviews

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Unfortunately I came to this restaurant as I was looking to have a good dining experience encouraged by good reviews. I have to say it was packed and people were waiting in lines which at first convinced me more that it was worth the wait, to find out later that all this is due to the fact that there was only one person taking the orders from all the people in the restaurant. We waited at least one hour to get a table and another hour to have our order taken. They have no menu, this poor girl supposed to take the order was reciting on every table the menu. We were very upset for the long wait especially when we were noticing that people who had seats after us were served before us. When it was about paying the bill, the woman dared asking us to add tips which was for me an insult to injury. Not to forget that we were kind of obliged to have a drink while waiting to be seated.

1  Thank Dayana L
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

This wasn’t a first choice to eat on the night, it wasn’t even our second however we where so glad we stumbled across it. When we arrived it was full and a couple where waiting at the bar for a table to clear. We too decided to wait for a table, we waited approx 30 mins. The service was great the atmosphere was fabulous and the food was absolutely delicious we had a pate starter then the steak we even decided to try chocolate cake and cheesecake would highly recommend.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Soup was tasteless, main was overcooked, chips boiled from frozen, zero atmosphere. I don't understand other people's reviews. Not enough staff so you're waiting 30 minutes between starter and main. Really disappointed.

Reviewed 14 May 2018

I tired this place by chance as I heard it was good. Having been in Amsterdam for a few days I decided to stop by on my last night. It was busy so I had to wait for about 40 minutes for a table but I sat at the bar and had a glass of wine. I was seated at the table and the menu is recited by the wait staff who was very nice by the way. No menu. I had the chicken dish with Indonesian coconut sauce. Wow. I was blown away. This is some of the best food I have ever eaten. I visited again on my return trip to Amsterdam the following week and was not disappointed. This is high on my list of restaurants to always visit. A musty restaurant.