“Would not return !!”

Price range: US$0 - US$76
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Plantage & the East
Description: Dine in style overlooking the Amstel river at restaurant La Rive. Culinary excellence and extraordinary hospitality makes restaurant La Rive a class of its own. Under the inspired culinary leadership of Chef de Cuisine Roger Rassin, Maitre Ronald Opten and Sommelier Ted Bunnik, every guest is assured of a culinary experience. La Rive is a member of the culinary restaurant association Alliance Gastronomique. The exceptional wine expertise of our three sommeliers in combination with the creativity of our kitchen contribute to a unique and unforgettable dining experience.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Despite the great view, I do not recommend this restaurant.. it was not full, but the service was really bad and the food was just OK. Got the impression that they were not happy with clients arriving for dinner at 9:30pm and definetely not worthy the money.

2  Thank DaniK74
Anita B, General Manager at La Rive, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Dear Dani,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with restaurant La Rive. Note that your feedback is truly valuable to us, as we strive for the best. It is regrettable to learn that your expectations were not completely met and I would like to apologize for the discomfort you have experienced in our restaurant. I hope to have a chance of welcoming you again in the nearest future.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

La Rive at the Intercontinental in Amsterdam is definitely a place for special occasions, but I guess it’s not your 44th birthday everyday!

Whilst first impressions my suggest some stuffiness, the waiting team including the charismatic sommelier Ted are an absolute hoot.

From the moment we entered the dining room set in the basement of the hotel and overlooking the River Amstel, Ted and the team made us feel very at home.

We opted for the 7 course set menu with matched wines, which was just fantastic - we couldn’t fault it.

It’s not cheap and as I suggested earlier it’s definitely one for a special occasion, but it’s certainly worth it and highly deserving of all the praise given by other trip advisor reviewers.

Dear Sir, Dear Madam,

First of all, I would like to thank you so much for sharing your fantastic experience with restaurant La Rive. We are truly delighted to read that you have enjoyed our 7 course menu in combination with excellent wines so much. It is also a pleasure to read that you have enjoyed the perfect view over the Amstel River and we are more than happy to learn that our La Rive team did her utmost best to provide you with the best service possible. Until we meet again at Restaurant La Rive!

Warm regards,

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

NOTE: before deciding to publish this review, I have sent an amplified version of it to both the restaurant and the hotel managers. It had been a month now andI have not heard from either one.

The good, the bad and the ugly of our dining experience.

The good.
The restaurants setting is fantastic - the location, the entrance of the hotel and, of course, the views from the dinning room. We were in awe of the surrounding as we walked in and looked forward to a great dining experience.
Also, every dish that was *not* on the menu - the pre-appetizers (served quite originally in a polished branch) made for a delightful start, the amuse bouche (hot/cold) were incredible - explosion of taste and texture. After such an amazing start, we couldn’t wait to ordered our meals.

The bad.
My Mother ordered La Rive Gauche (with an upgrade to Japanese Wagyu Beef). My brother and I ordered La Rive Droite.
Simply put, the food was mediocre at best.
Two of the dishes - red mullet and the eel soup - were clearly over-salted. Every single one of the dishes was unremarkable, both in taste and in presentation. It was good enough to satisfy the hunger of the passing traveler, but not even close to the excepted “gourmet- style” flavor explosion.
The Japanese beef was excessively fatty and lacking in flavor while my guinea fowl tasted more like a thanksgiving turkey - overdone and dry.

The ugly.
When the main dish came, it was served without any explanation at all - the plates were placed in front of us without a word. We already began eating when my brother noticed that he had gotten my Mother’s dish (Japanese beef) while she had gotten his. He called the waiters and once he explained the situation, they simply picked up the two plates and switched them over, as if it was a family style picnic.
To do such a thing is unsanitary, it unseemly and it just unacceptable at an establishment of a five star category.

I don’t presume to know the dynamic La Rive, but it looked like the wait stuff was terrified of the kitchen, afraid to let them know that either they or the kitchen staff made a mistake.

In the end, we managed to have a lovely evening; sadly, it wasn’t because of La Rive.

The last token was the night concierge, who, instead of offering to help me with the coat, practically threw it at me and turned away. Not the experience we were looking for.

1  Thank JuliaVB29

Dear Julia,

First of all, thank you so much for sharing your experience with restaurant La Rive. I would like to start by apologizing to you for not meeting your expectations. We strive to make each visit as pleasant and comfortable as possible, and we will use your comments to coach our team in order to provide a truly memorable service in the future. I hope you will give us a chance by visit our restaurant again to show you that your unsatisfactory visit was an exception. Again, thank you for sharing your comments, and if I can be of assistance to you, please contact me directly at Amstel@ihg.com.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Outstanding good food and excellent serving. We had a nice romantic evening with a lot of good view.

Anita B, General Manager at La Rive, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear Henrik,

Thank you so much for sharing your excellent experience with us on Tripadvisor. It fills us with joy to hear that you had a nice romantic evening and that you loved the unique view over the Amstel river in combination with outstanding good food. We truly look forward to welcoming you again at restaurant La Rive in the near future.

Warm regards,

General Manager & Maître – Sommelier

Reviewed 10 June 2018 via mobile

Everything was absolutely delicious and service was great. Inventive dishes, beautifully plated, unique and flavorful.

1  Thank ajr888
Anita B, General Manager at La Rive, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2018

Dear Sir, Dear Madam,

Thank you kindly for sharing your beautiful experience with restaurant La Rive. We are more than happy to learn that you have enjoyed your evening in our restaurant so much. It is a pleasure to learn that our team did their utmost best to provide you with great service from beginning until the end.
We look forward to welcoming you again in the near future.

General Manager & Maître – Sommelier