“Lively Pub With Good Dutch Food”
Review of Cafe Sonneveld

Cafe Sonneveld
Ranked #397 of 4 440 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Cuisines: Dutch
Neighbourhood: Jordaan
Neighbourhood: Jordaan
Reviewed 4 May 2018

We went over to Sonneveld after visiting the Ann Frank House. It was busy, but we were quickly set up at an available high top near the bar, which suited us fine. My wife ordered and enjoyed the stampot, while I chose the ribs. The ribs were fall off the bone tender, meaty and flavorful. We added frites as well and used the sauces provided for the ribs (curry, sweet chili, pesto) to supplement the mayo. ...wow, was that good! In fact, everything was good. All washed down by a good local beer and wine. Atmosphere was cozy and convivial. Service was great. There were plenty of other restaurants down the street in this part of the Jordaan. We never found the ice cream place ( people were walking by with cones,as we ate), but it was late and businesses were closing by the time we left. Certainly stop by if you're in the area. The neighborhood itself, is worth the trip.

Reviewed 29 April 2018

Was highly recommended by local walking tour guide. Lovely staff and very charming restaurant with excellent food and service. The loud American music was a bit irritating, but otherwise just lovely and highly recommend.

Reviewed 26 April 2018

A woman at the Anne Frank House directed us to Egelantiersgracht and said there were many cafes to choose from for dinner. We didn't want to walk far and we went into the first cafe we came to, which was Cafe Sonneveld. There were 7 of us and they were able to accommodate us, even though soon a group of 50 young people was expected and filled the back of the restaurant. The waitress was very nice and kept her eye on us somehow with help from the manager. Two of our group had the stamppot at 11.95 euros each and really enjoyed trying something typical Dutch. They liked it! Two people went for burgers, which they liked, and I had a delicious piece of pork with pepper sauce (varkenshaas) at 16.95 euros. It was amazingly good, better than I'd expect in a bar-type cafe. It tasted like fine restaurant food. We wanted dessert but they advised us it would take a while due to the large group, and they recommended an ice cream place just up the street. We went there and loved it, but I neglected to get its name. We ate inside, but they have a few tables outside too. The total bill for 7 people came to 121.65 euros, including four bottles of water and two orders of bitterballen (Dutch meatballs) as an appetizer.

Reviewed 25 April 2018

We had done a series of activities including the Anne Frank house; we were tired but enjoying the canal-side walking. We needed a sit-down break with food—but we were just not up for the large tourist places, etc.

At a corner by a bridge over the canal, I saw a very small restaurant. I saw a table on the sidewalk, under a sign for Cafe Sonneveld, and just sat down. The little corner business seemed open but no one being served at present. I knew it was early for dinner, so after a little while, I went inside. The staff person was setting up for the dinner and evening crowd. I asked about dinner, and he laughed and said—why not? What would I like?

The service was excellent; the staff cheerful and funny; the food delivered promptly; and the quality and value nice. We watched the food traffic along the canal and the boats—what a great corner spot!

We had a week in Amsterdam but the Cafe Sonneveld stays on the top of my mind.

Reviewed 25 April 2018

This little cafe in the Jordaan area, is a great little place where the locals eat. The lady who was running the place when we visited was very friendly and helpful with the menu. I had the spare ribs and pretty wife had the stampot with a meatball. Very good food.