All reviews heineken experience quiet street albert cuyp market minute walk small hotel cheese and ham within walking distance cold meats single room canal cruise city centre tram line van gogh museum two nights rooms were very clean tea and coffee public transport
Reviewed 30 March 2018

Clean, comfortable, friendly and good service. Sometimes it's nice to escape the big brand hotels and experience something real. This is not a luxury hotel, it is a small, somewhat quirky 3 star. What you see is what you get, but this hotel has a big heart. Even the keys are real, which you hand in at reception whenever you leave the hotel. The room I had was small, but even so I slept well.
The breakfast was good. Not the largest choice compared to other hotels, however they use REAL eggs to make scrambled eggs and I really appreciate being able to get real fried eggs whenever I stay in a hotel. The bacon was also good.
I would definitely stay here again.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled on business
NicolaasWitsen, Manager at Nicolaas Witsen Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2018

Dear David,

Thanks a lot for your positive words about us.

Hope we may welcome you again in the near future.

Best regards, The Hotel Nicolaas Witsen team

Reviewed 27 March 2018

What a great find for the price this little hotel turned out to be. It's small, especially the rooms, ensuite bathrooms and the beds, but it's extremely clean and well maintained. It offers all the basic facilities and that's reflected in the modest cost. The breakfast was simple fare but well cooked and tasty; late night drinks from the bar were again basic but served with good humour which isn't always the case with night porters and the wifi worked well. Although what's on offer are the basics, it's done with style, absolute cleanliness and above all the staff were simply great. Nothing was too much trouble. I know the hotel was going to close for refurbishment, so it should be even better when we go back. It's in a good location, just south of the main town centre about 25 mins walk from the Central station, 12/15 mins from the Rijksmuseum/ Leidesplein and just two minutes from the number 4 tram. It offers good access to the bars, restaurants and facilities in the centre and if you need more, just South of it are more local restaurants and bars towards the Sarphatipark.

Room Tip: Take the number 4 Tram from Centraal Station, direction Station Rai, get off at Stadehoudeskade.
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled with friends
NicolaasWitsen, Manager at Nicolaas Witsen Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2018

Dear Jules,

Thank you for your nice review about the hotel. It was great to have you as our guest.

Thank you for your nice words about the Wi-Fi, location and cleanliness.
It is nice to hear that you liked our breakfast, did you tried our pancakes or fresh baked eggs?

We hope to welcome you again after the renovation.

Kind regards,

Nicolaas Witsen Team

Reviewed 25 March 2018

Three night stay at this hotel on a quiet street in the historic area of Amsterdam. I took the Conexxion Shuttle from the airport. After that, I have walked everywhere! There is a tram at the corner if one does not want to walk. This hotel is very clean. Has an elevator. Rooms are small as described on website. Had everything that I needed in a compact space. My main requirement was a comfortable bed and a hot water maker. This hotel provided both. Staff was friendly. Good breakfast in a pleasant room with windows looking out at the street, i definitely will stay here on my next visit to Amsterdam.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 March 2018

Stayed here on a field course with a large group. The rooms are well appointed and comfortable, but the staff is the best part - they are incredibly lovely and kind! I have mobility issues and use a mobility scooter part time, and they helped me every day to lift it up the few stairs into the lobby and generously stored it in the hotel office. It was a lifesaver since otherwise it would have been difficult for me to get around the city! Breakfast in the morning is also excellent, and the woman who runs breakfast is so sweet and will bring tea, coffee, eggs, and anything else that one could need.

Would definitely stay again, highly recommend!

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled with friends
NicolaasWitsen, Eigenaar at Nicolaas Witsen Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2018

Hi Smosaka,

Thank you so much for your nice words about our hotel. It was great to have you all in our hotel. It is nice that we could help you with your mobility scooter. Most important was that you were able to enjoy your stay in Amsterdam.

I will pass your compliments to Supattra, the breakfast woman.

We look forward to welcome you again in the near future.

Best regards, Alex

Reviewed 12 March 2018 via mobile

Very friendly staff and a clean and comfortable stay. The hotel is central to pretty much everything and a great place to base yourself from. If your after a great 3 star hotel you can do a lot worse than here.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with friends
NicolaasWitsen, Manager at Nicolaas Witsen Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 March 2018

Dear Stephen,

Thank you for your nice words about the hotel.

We hope to welcome you again in the future.

Kind regards,