“Good Surprise”

Cuisines: Indonesian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

This restaurant was a great surprise. Food was exceptional, service as well. They have a good selection of wine, I recommend this restaurant for those who would like to drink a little bit more. Degustation menu with wines is the best choice, they serve you a lot of wine. Even for tasting you'll get almost half of glass of delicious wines and if u like it, you will receive a second glass, a full glass! Good restaurant!

Write a ReviewReviews (1 076)

6 - 10 of 1 076 reviews

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

The food is incredible. Just don't be in a hurry because they bring so much food that you can't eat it all unless you pace yourself. You have to try all the dishes as they are delicious and diverse. Then go back for seconds of your favorites. Plan on spending a couple of hours at the restaurant as the atmosphere is friendly and relaxed. Imagine a buffet that comes to you.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

There are really good things about this restaurant – although for me, it doesn’t make it into the ‘excellent’ category.

We were four people for dinner on a Monday night. The restaurant was pretty full ( a sign of it’s popularity – however this also has the effect of making it feel a little crowded. There are different spaces and we were taken to one of the upstairs areas, where I felt a little hemmed in, there wasn’t quite enough room for all the tables and chairs. The general noise level of animated chatter was engaging, although much noisier would have been a problem for me.

Service was good, despite the fact that the restaurant was busy, our hostess was with us pretty quickly to take drinks orders and give us our menus.

One highlight here – I ordered a lowlander IPA – which was just brilliant – a really young and fruity IPA, at exactly the right temperature (cold).

The menu is extensive, a very wide range of Indonesian dishes, based on street food. We ordered a couple of starters between us (party of 4) and the portions were pretty good, enough for us all.

The menu helpfully includes a number key, at which you can see which dishes contain – lactose, gluten, meat, shellfish etc. These days I would describe myself as a Dinosaur Reductionist – I’m trying to eat more healthily, for my own sake and also for the planet’s.
But I’m also quite fortunate in that I can (and often will) eat anything, with or without a face and any number of legs.
This evening I chose the vegetarian option, which consists of 6 or 7 small dishes of Indonesian street food . One of my friends opted for a similar dish, but with seafood. Another friend opted for a really well cooked beef dish.

All the food arrived at the same time, which is great, btw. It’s dispiriting when a party of four receives their meals one by one… However although the waiter described the dishes as he served them, it all got a bit confusing and we weren’t really sure which was which.
We were starving though, so we just all kind of piled in to whatever was on hand.
However, if there had been any serious dietary requirement issues (allergies to shellfish for example) it might have been difficult to identify what was what.

Everything was fairly tasty, but to be honest nothing really blew my mind (except the IPA) and one or two of the dishes were a little bland and short on seasoning and flavours.

The service was fine, and as I say, they were busy – but I didn’t come away feeling that we had really been ‘looked after’. For example, we ordered a carafe of water – we drank this quite quickly (4 glasses will empty a carafe in no time) but no one noticed this. If we wanted more water, we were then obliged to try and get a waiter’s attention, ask for it, wait for it etc.
These are minor niggles – but do make the difference between ‘good’ and ‘excellent’.

Our bill for 4 people, including taxes came to about €180 I think. 2 starters (shared between 4), 4 mains, a couple of beers each – no coffee or dessert . Not a bad price but not a steal…

I would recommend this restaurant to people visiting Amsterdam , who like Indonesian food – but to be honest I probably wouldn’t go back – there’s so many other places to try.

Reviewed 13 March 2018

The banquets provide a wide range and variety of tasty Indonesian food, the service was unobtrusive but polite and efficient and they have a good wine list

Reviewed 11 March 2018

Travel companion and myself split the meat and seafood rice table dishes. Both were delicious.

Service was OK. Infrequent checks for drinks left our glasses empty for long periods of time. Also, the timing of the dishes with this style of service could be better coordinated so that you aren't sitting at a small table with 20+ plates in front of you.