“Very good food and service”

Japanse Restaurant Genki
Ranked #433 of 4 630 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Canal Ring (Grachtengordel)
Reviewed 21 September 2018

We were 6 people including 4 vegans. I was a little worried if they will like the food but to my surprise they loved it. The waitress was very helpful in choosing the menu for them, she struck out any non vegan items making it easier for them to choose.

In total there were about 90 items and you will be filling up a form selecting max of 5 items per course. She also handed over forks along with chop sticks as most of us were not very familiar with using a chop stick.

We could taste about 20 different items from the menu. Food was good, fresh and has variety. The items which were standing out for us were banana blueberry uramaki, cucumber pickles, vegi genki, chicken thigh fried udon and Japanese fried rice(the most favorite).

The service was quick to deliver the food as well as to clean up the plates. There is no tap water and a bottle of water will cost you about 6.5 EUR.

I would visit this place again.

Date of visit: September 2018

Reviewed 12 September 2018

The outdoor space is very beautiful with all the trees and flowers.
Furthermore, at the end of the day, there was a live band playing jazz.
Regarding the dishes, I will not say that it was the best sushi I had ever tried.
It was good.

Date of visit: June 2018
Reviewed 2 August 2018 via mobile

We had our food (the waiter spilt soy sauce over my white shirt), the food was good. We all paid and left (they didn’t deduct anything for spilling soy on my shirt). Then the waiter came out and rudely shouted at us down the street that we hadn’t paid. He was mistaken.

Date of visit: August 2018
1  Thank Jamie286
Reviewed 2 July 2018

From sashimi, sushi and maki.

I recommend this restaurant not only for the quality of the food but also for the quantity and the excellent service. You are given up to 5 dishes (per person) for 5 rounds. Order what you want from Japanese eel, lamb chop and many many sushi, maki etc.

It’s located lower down in the shopping / pedestrian street with a lot of different restaurant and pubs nearby. We will definitely come back once were in Amsterdam.

Date of visit: July 2018
Reviewed 26 June 2018 via mobile

This was literally the worst sushi I had in my entire life. All you can eat sushi is in general not really good, but this was so bad that we went to mcdonalds afterwards. The sushi was very tiny and the ingredients were not fresh, a lot if salt was used to mask the flavour of the tiny money saving sushi’s. The toilet was out of toiletpaper and the whole ambience of the restaurant was not very welcoming. Not an appealing place to go out for an expensive dinner; and an expensive dinner it was 70 euros for 2 people; tapwater not allowed! I can only tell you to go dine somewhere else! We even told the waitress it was bad and she didn’t do anything, she just let us pay and leave.

Date of visit: June 2018