“Wouldn't return”

La Perla
Ranked #422 of 4 556 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Price range: US$12 - US$18
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Takeout
Neighbourhood: Jordaan
Description: In the heart of the Amsterdam neighborhood known as 'De Jordaan', there is a street popularly known as 'Little Italy'. This street owes its nickname to the relatively large amount of high standard Italian restaurants in the area. Only one of these makes pizzas: La Perla.We've built a large wood fueled brick oven, which is essential to baking a great pizza. You can take away our pizzas, or - when in the Jordaan, do as the Jordanezen do - eat in the pizzeria, have an espresso or a dessert and enjoy the lively in- and outdoor scene.
Reviewed 28 June 2018

We seated ourselves and were promptly waited on at a time when the restaurant was moderately but not overly busy. My wife and I intended to split a pizza and another entree. We attempted to order some tap water from the bartender/waiter who waited on us before we decided on our pizza ingredients, but he he informed us we'd have to order some food or a drink first. Per his comments and attitude, we felt pressured into ordering bottled water (which we did, as I didn't want to create a scene with my wife present), but did so reluctantly. It ended up costing us 5 euros, as I recall, which was a total waste of our money. We're an affluent couple who are poised and well-dressed, so it was stupidly presumptuous to assume we'd simply stop in for free tap water while we perused the menu, then order nothing. We ended up ordering one pizza, as I was put off by his comments. I figured I'd order the entree after the pizza arrived, if our experience got better. The pizza came in a reasonable amount of time and was quite good, with the exception of the fact that they don't cut it for you and it's extremely difficult to cut with the rather dull knives they provide you. While waiting for our pizza, the couple next to us asked the waitress if she would please cut the pizza she delivered to them. She gave them a HUGE attitude and barked that if they wanted the pizza cut, they should have asked for that before they ordered it. She took it away, brought it back (cut into pieces) and shoved it across their table with a snotty look and no comment. In short, our pizza was good and reasonably priced, but the employees of this establishment ruined our experience - and since dining is as much about the positive experience as it is about the quality of the food, I would never return here. There are many other good restaurants in Amsterdam that have good food AND offer a positive experience. I would strongly recommend you choose one of them.

Reviewed 26 June 2018

Great place to hang out for lunch. Nice options on toppings for a thin crust pizza. Good value. I wish they could have reheated my pizza but they were worried about the "arugula catching on fire in the superheated oven." Odd. Corner restaurant with indoor and outdoor seating options. Good for families.

Reviewed 25 June 2018 via mobile

I go here every week; consistently best pizza in town in the best neighbourhood.

Foodfired over for tasty crispy crusts... not your standard hoping selections but they are all delicious. I usually have the salsiccia fesca... soft sausage with creamy cheese... the best!!!

Friendly staff (rare I'm amsterdam!!) And a relaxed atmosphere. A must visit

Reviewed 25 June 2018

i go here every week and it is consistently the best pizza in town; and i have tried lots of others. wood fired oven for really tastey and crisp crust... and not overloaded with topings but just enough cheese... the sause is super tastey. they are all good but 9 times out of 10 i order the salsiccia fresca (excuse spelling!!) which has some soft suasage on it with an addtional chese that is just perfec!

eat in the take away side if the restaurant is too busy.. but you can not have alcohol there - be warned.

Reviewed 24 June 2018 via mobile

We went there on a friday night and the place was packed! We put our name up for a table waiting list for an outside table (inside was fully booke for the evening), we were 5th in line and waited roughly 30 minutes. We were expecting this and enjoyed a few beers on a bench just outside the place. Pizzas were pretty good and the staff very friendly despite the rush hour. Make sure to book ahead or show up willing to wait a bit to have the best experience. The place occupies two opposite corners of the street, one side where they make the pizzas and do take-aways and the other with a restaurant-like seating. Great atmosphere in Jordaan.