Open today: 08:00 - 18:00
More Information

Top Selling Tours & Activities in and around Basel
Reviews (1 695)
1 695 results
All reviews elephant enclosure penguin walk monkey house sea lions snow leopard exotic animals great layout few hours worth a visit couple of hours great place to visit sunny day entrance fee city centre train station enclosures elephants
33 - 38 of 1 695 reviews
Reviewed 26 June 2018

My husband and I lived in Europe with small children, so we started visiting TONS of European city zoos. I recently visited Zoo Basel on a trip by myself (nothing else was open on Monday) and I was shocked. Everything in Basel is clean and tidy, except the Zoo. Many of the animal's cages had poop all over them, and there were benches that were COVERED in bird droppings. It's the only dirty thing in Basel.

1  Thank Suz_Expat
Reviewed 18 June 2018 via mobile

We went to the Basel zoo with fairly low expectations. A few years ago we went to the London zoo and it was a waste of time and money. Zoo Basel was neither of those things!! The primate enclosure was impressive...as was the rhinos, elephants and giraffes. We ended up spending over 3 hours strolling thru the lovely zoo...just a few blocks from the main train station.

Reviewed 10 June 2018 via mobile

For the casual visitor to Basel, this is a neat place but not overwhelmingly impressive. For the locals with membership, I hear it is neat because you can get to know the animals and see them grow year to year. As a zoo, it's nice to see they are forward thinking in animal well-being, but at the same time many of the animals looked extremely bored and had no purpose. As a tourist, it's noticeable that many animals are not really in cages, but have more natural barriers and coinhabit areas with other animals that compliment each other. The map and signs are very poorly done, though, I hope they fix that aspect.

1  Thank Hans G
Reviewed 2 June 2018 via mobile

It‘s a cool and interesting zoo. You can reach it by tram. I visited Basel on a weekend trip from Zurich.

1  Thank Denis L
Reviewed 29 May 2018

We very much enjoyed this zoo. Whenever we go to Europe and are in a city with a zoo, we try to make a visit. In all our 20+ years of travelling to Europe we thought this zoo had the very best Monkey House. There were so many different kinds of monkeys. Their enclosures were so clean.

There was a large restaurant area in which to relax and have something to eat. Getting to the zoo from the Old Town where we were staying was so easy because of the tram system in Basel.