All reviews the main square breakfast room shared balcony tuscan countryside tourists leave hotel restaurant balcony overlooking glass of wine single room town square quiet room hordes of tourists piazza della excellent location gelato coffee machine narrow streets
Reviewed 22 August 2018

The hotel itself offers spacious, clean rooms .......most things that you would be looking for although possibly a little dated.
However, it’s location at the town square is marvellous & opening up the wooden shutters in the morning to see a breathtaking view of the rolling Tuscan countryside with the mountains in the distance is not something that you get every day.
This is a must stay for anyone visiting San Gimignano.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 August 2018

My friends and I stayed here in May. I have been to San Gimignano many times. I don't care for it much during the day, there are TOO MANY PEOPLE. But later in the day and evening, it's magical. And this hotel is perfectly located. Our room was huge. But the best part was the balcony. Looking over the spectacular Tuscany country side. Breathtaking. When we arrived there was actually a woman playing a harp just beneath us. Beautiful. The service was wonderful. The restaurant had fabulous food and views. I accidentally left something there and they looked for it and mailed it home. I will look forward to staying there aging.

• Stayed: May 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 July 2018

This hotel is right in the middle of bustling San Gimignano and I couldn't fault it. My single room was small but everything worked and I had a great view from the balcony. We wanted an early breakfast to start our next day's hike along the Via Francigena before the heat struck, and they allowed us into the dining room as soon as the staff got there at 7am although breakfast service wasn't supposed to start till 8. The breakfast itself was excellent, as was the dinner we had in the hotel the previous night.

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 July 2018

This was our second time at the Hotel La Cisterna. We book balcony rooms which makes all the difference to us. The location is fantastic. The breakfast here is better than most - and the view from the restaurant is to die for. The folks in the restaurant are really great- they even opened up the second room when a rainstorm came through to accommodate guests who didn't want to venture out! If you know the Hotel and are expecting a particular type of room, you should know that the rooms really vary. We were expecting rooms of a particular type and one wasn't quite up to our expectations. I wish I would have contacted them ahead of time to try to make sure we had the right rooms of possible. One note - they have recently renovated..Which is great...but the rooms have a bit of a new odor. If that sort of thing bothers you, bring candle or something. I am not giving a 5 rating because of one thing...when we arrived and talked to staff about our rooms, the man was actually quite mean when it wasn't necessary. I haven't yet forgotten that! I noticed the front desk staff seemed overworked and not nearly as nice as the last time we were there. Not sure why but it was certainly my noticed. It's still a great place to stay!

Room Tip: Rooms with balconies are the best. Book way ahead of time!!!
  • Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 July 2018

My room no. was 81. It had a fantastic panorama of San Gimignano. the room was large and the bathroom was quite large too compared to usual dimensions of the hotel rooms. I didn't have to switch on the air-conditioner during the night as it was quite cool. So, I slept with the windows opened. Only thing is I heard all the chatter from the people below on and off. I somehow managed to sleep. The fridge was supplied with two bottles of water only. It could have had also a sample of wine and some cookies of the area, just a thought from my part.

Room Tip: Rooms with a view such as room no. 81
  • Stayed: July 2018, travelled with friends