“Not a tourist spot”
Review of Peruca'

Peruca'
Reserve with
Peruca' is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #29 of 135 Restaurants in San Gimignano
Price range: US$25 - US$43
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Description: In the wondefoul medieval walled hill of San Gimignano, and its Beatiful Towers, the Perucà Restaurants is waiting for you to discover the authentic delicious Tuscan cuisine made respecting the medieval tradition. This restourant, located in the cellars of one of the oldest building palace, invited you in un amazing and delicious atmosphere of the ancient times.
Reviewed 8 October 2018 via mobile

Lovely restaurant tucked away from the main streets and piazzas of San G which means fewer tourists and more locals, good food, reasonably priced with very attentive and helpful service.

Write a ReviewReviews (2 679)

5 - 9 of 2 679 reviews

Reviewed 5 October 2018 via mobile

I dined here solo one Friday night. The menu is, to put it mildly, superb, and I had a real problem deciding what to order. Excellent salads and pasta primi reluctantly excluded, I opted for the polpo (octopus) starter and a fillet with truffles and a Chianti reduction. The pulpo was excellent, served on a bed of mashed potatoes, tender and flavoursome, although I couldn't really taste the minced black olives underneath. The fillet was very good too, served perfectly medium rare with shavings of truffle and what must have been a thick slice of pecoino cheese melted over the top (perhaps less cheese and more truffle: the cheese tended to overwhelm the truffle which was unfortunate). The fillet sat on a bed of wilted spinach and mint which was most refreshing. The meat came in a generous portion, at least 400g, good value for E22.
Unable to resist the temptation, I ordered a postre of white truffle ice cream which was good, if a little bland, 'truffle' in this context obviously connoting something else entirely, a oversweet vanilla exterior with a light dark chocolate interior, I suspect.
A glass of Chianti, a sparkling water and a tiny espresso brought the total to E55, very reasonable, I thought, for San Gimignano, which, unjustly I think, is said to be lacking in 'foodie' opportunities - in fact the three or four restaurants I visited here were all amongst the best of a three week trip to Tuscany and Umbria.
My only real criticism of Peruca is that on the autumn night I visited it was simply too hot in the dining room which was full of diners from 7 to 10 pm - I had come at 7 and booked for 9. It is a beautiful low ceilinged vault but can feel a bit claustrophobic; and may the gods assist you if there are too many Americans present at the same time (why can they never seem to modulate their foghorn monotones?). The temperature of the wine was similarly just a tad too high.
Also, there is a very awkward step just beyond the door as you exit on which, to the amusement of those behind me, I almost broke my neck, no doubt the first person ever to do so.
Otherwise a perfect meal in almost every respect and highly recommended.

Reviewed 27 September 2018 via mobile

Eating in tourist hotspots is never great but this was my worst ever experience.

My food was not warm. The grilled vegetables were rubbery and inedible. My cod was over cooked. Service was poor with little room in the table but empty bottles not cleared.

We ended up leaving without eating much. The table beside us did the same and we heard them discussing how unhappy they were with the food they had ordered. The meal was expensive.

100% Avoid

Reviewed 21 September 2018 via mobile

We visited this little restaurant on the recommendation of our accommodation hosts and were not disappointed.

The meals were delicious and the wines that we selected were a perfect accompaniment.

Equally memorably was the friendly efficient service we received - from taking our telephone booking to table service to wishing us farewell, the young lady who looked after us was an exemplar of what table service should be: attentive, friendly, knowledgeable and efficient.

A truly memorable meal.

Reviewed 3 September 2018 via mobile

We spent part of our day in the town and came here for lunch. We had the bruschetta and the eggplant parmigiana. Both were very good. Service was fine and the server was very friendly. A nice place off the main Street for a good and quiet meal.