All reviews great location large room railway station comfortable bed fridge cereal piazza key toilet
Reviewed 31 March 2016

Pretty much next to the Piazza Di Santa Maria Novella, the hotel is only a few minutes' away from Firenze SMN train station. The location of the hotel is great. The Basilica Di Santa Maria Novella is just a minute away, the Piazza Della Repubblica and Cattedrale Di Santa Maria Del Fiore are 5 minutes' away and the Piazza Della Signoria (where the Palazzo Vecchio is and Uffizi Gallery is nearby) is 10 minutes' away. Nearly everything of interest is within walking distance.

The staff was very nice and polite. The person at the front desk was very friendly, helpful and courteous. She helped me with a lot of my tourist questions and gave some good recommendations as well. The lady at breakfast was also very nice well. I cannot fault how nice the people were. The room was spacious and, along with the bathroom, clean. There was also a small balcony which was nice, but no view other than the hotel next door. For a solo visit where I didn't spend that much time in my room, it served its purpose.

Unfortunately, there were a few things lacking, which is the reason for the rating. The décor in the room was "quaint", but a bit tired. No refrigerator. The bathroom was small, but manageable. However, the towels were weird. Well, they give you some proper towels and some dishcloth-type towels as well. Bathroom accessories were sachets of things, which were fine.

The walls are pretty thin. Anyone talking in the hallway or talking in the next room can be heard quite clearly. This is especially annoying when there is a kid wailing next door in the middle of the night. My main gripe was the WiFi. Italy's cellular 3G and public WiFi is poor, so I was relying on the hotel's WiFi. This was not possible. The WiFi in my room didn't work. The password for all the room's WiFi is the same, so I had to try and pick up another room's signal, which was weak. Even when I could get a connection, it might as well not work. To say this was frustrating is an understatement. I had to try and pick up other non-password protected WiFi instead, which you can from the breakfast room.

Breakfast was included with the room, but it was very simple. Served between 08:00 and 10:00, there was orange juice, coffee, a croissant, bread roll and some preserves. The breakfast is more a convenience than a selling point. I only had it once as I was hungry but skipped it the other days I was there.

If you are just looking for a place to sleep in a very good location and friendly service, this is it. But if you want more from your hotel, look elsewhere. However, hotel prices are not cheap in Florence.

• Stayed: March 2016, travelled solo
1  Thank Anwarul B
Reviewed 11 December 2015 via mobile

Stayed here for two nights while we were visiting Florence for the weekend. The room was small but it was all we needed. We had a nice balcony and bathroom. Breakfast was good in typical Italian fashion. Great location close to the train station and just off of a very nice plaza. It was a short walking distance to great restaurants and all the main sights. We were only using the hotel for a place to sleep so it was exactly what we needed. They lock the door at night and there is not someone at the desk 24/7 so if you show up late at night without a reservation you probably won't get in. The hotel was very nicely decorated. We would stay there again.

Stayed: November 2015, travelled as a couple
vince70, Direttore at Hotel Tourist House, responded to this reviewResponded 1 February 2016

Thanks Adam!
We hope to welcoming you again in the next future.
Kindly regards,
Vincenzina, Cristina, Lucia, Milena

Reviewed 15 October 2015 via mobile

We stayed here for a night while we were staying in Florence. The first thing we noticed was the great location, a few minutes walk from Santa Maria Novella station. The price is average but considering the location we were happy with it.

We didn't see many members of staff during our stay but the ones we did come across were friendly and helpful.

We stayed in room 3 which was equipped with a very comfy double bed, TV, mini fridge and wardrobe. The shower was a little on the small side but neither of us are particularly large so it was not a problem. At times you could hear noise due to the close proximity of the room to the front entrance but thankfully they lock the door at 20:00.

I noticed some complaints on TripAdvisor about the breakfast prior to arrival but we thought it was very reasonable. It consisted of cereal, a bread roll and a croissant. There was a selection of spreads and drinks including fruit juice, tea and coffee.

Overall I'm happy to recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a basic hotel in Florence with decent amenities and a great location.

Stayed: October 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 October 2015

This felt like a small, boutique type hotel where you were treated as an individual. The hike in city tax was a surprise (booking.com's error). The bathroom and room was well appointed with lovely old antique furniture. Breakfast was plentiful and delicious.

• Stayed: July 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 October 2015

Right in front of Santa Maria Novella square and the train station.Very clean, simple yet honest breakfast. Our toilet was a bit stinky but so did the streets, so I guess its an issue of an old city with old plumbing. Hotel's reception closes by night.

Room Tip: Choose a room with a balcony, the view from the garden is nice.
  • Stayed: August 2015, travelled as a couple