All reviews great location large room railway station comfortable bed fridge cereal piazza key toilet
Reviewed 7 June 2015

I was with a large group who split between three hotels - the Abaco, Giappone and Tourist House. This is run by the same people who own the Giappone. The Tourist House is friendly, very clean, and located right near the Santa Maria Novella church, near the train station. The center of town is a ten minute walk. Unlike the other two hotels (which I also wrote reviews for), the Tourist House does not require climbing a lot of stairs for most rooms. Its Wifi is very dependable, and breakfasts are pretty good - coffee along with two or three different kind of pastries/bread, with spreads like nutella, jam, butter, or soft cheese. The front desk isn't always staffed (they usually leave at about 8:30 PM or so), but you are given a key for the front door.

• Stayed: May 2015, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 March 2015

I came back to The Tourist House for three reasons. Price, location and friendliness of staff. I found the cleanliness perfectly fine. I loved my room and even asked for the same room I had last year and they were happy to oblige and were happy to see me upon my return. This is a woman owned, woman run business. I especially have enjoyed the friendliness of the staff and when I come again to Florence I will very likely choose this place again. I did not come for the breakfast…. but actually that is neither here or there, for a hotel this price - there are many breakfasts that you can buy just in this piazza for the 5 euro it would cost to add a delicious breakfast for a room. Not sure why one person gave this hotel such a bad review - for perfection, you can pay 245 euro a nite - and you will get it - for 65 euro a nite feeling safe, clean, quiet and a fabulous view right out the front door works for me. I love that it is so close to the train station - no taxi - Yay. And so easy to take a day trip from here. I have stayed all over Florence… 2nd time here, there will probably be a 3rd...

• Stayed: March 2015, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 October 2014

This is more a hell hole than a tourist house. Certainly not a hotel.

1. Rooms are spartan. Not even a proper table beside the bed
2. Wifi weak
3. Moquitoes galore
4. And there was a dead cockroach too
5. Blankets felt dirty
6. Towels are paper thin
7. Receptionist unfriendly and lazy
8. Breakfast was scary - esp after seeing a dead cockroach just outside the dining area (4 small tables wide)

Never stay here.

Room Tip: Avoid room 7
  • Stayed: September 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Shianming
Reviewed 4 September 2014

Very convenient for the centre and the railway station but a nightmare to find by car. The receptionist to whom I spoke to ask for directions was less than helpful on the telephone and took no account of the fact that I was English so she did what the English are famous for doing - she spoke faster and more loudly. We eventually (after 1 1/2 hours going past the railway station 5 times) found the hotel. It was good value, the room was clean, and it very conveniently positioned but why did the same receptionist have to send us to an indifferent restaurant when there are so many good ones close by. She was most insistent that we go to the one she mentioned and was quite rude when I asked about one we had passed on the way to the hotel. We wished we had ignored her advice.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Hotel is very well situated: 5 min from the train station and 5 min from the Duomo. It's just on the corner of the Piazza Santa Maria Novella. Clean with spacious AC rooms. Staff has been very friendly and professional. We've stayed just for one day, so we havwen't had any special requests. The basic things were just fine. Breakfast was ok: coffee or tea, croissant, juice, nutella, and jams, just the breakfast room is quite tiny, but we didn't mind. As the weather was nice, we sat at the garden.
And, they have great free wi-fi connection (in the rooms as well). And you can leave your luggage for the whole day, for free.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple