“Fab place to vidit”

and up
San Lorenzo Market Food and Wine Tour in Florence
Ranked #32 of 365 Shopping in Florence
More attraction details
Owner description: This is the largest and most popular of the street markets in Florence, where you can get some of the best shoe bargains in town.
Reviewed 21 March 2018 via mobile

Went here with my 2 children who are in their 20’s in the evening time. It was great in that we could choose whatever style of food each one of us wanted from 12 different stall holders. We then met up in the seating area in the centre and had some excellent locally produced wine. Great buzz in the place, stall holders we went to were good fun. A must see.

1  Thank Laburnum1
Write a ReviewReviews (1 151)
All reviews
"scarves"
in 66 reviews

50 - 54 of 1 151 reviews

Reviewed 19 March 2018

Nice place to discover and enjoy of a traditional market all over the ground floor, on the upper level you will find a lot of spots where you can discover a large number of just a kind of street food. Including a large cooking school. A must.

Reviewed 13 March 2018 via mobile

On ground floor you can find very nice local product from 8 a.m., and on 1st floor there's a lot of small restaurants and bars working until midnight (every day). In the evening a lot of people hanging around there... eating and drinking. And it's a really good project, if you ask me.
Very good pizza, oysters and some other stuff. Pasta not so special there. Go to other trattorias like Cantinetta Allegri etc.

Reviewed 17 February 2018 via mobile

Last time I’ ve been there was in the late 90’s. At that time was crowded of tourist with real Italians selling real local goods. Nowadays only Easter European selling who knows what. Bad experience

4  Thank Beijingsightrunning
See more reviews
Reviewed 10 February 2018

Our modest BandB was in Canto Dei Nelli Street right across from the San Lorenzo on the Medici Chapel side, so we were more or less inundated with leather stalls and moderate souvenir shops. Sad that I never did take time to locate the food area of the market! At first I was determined not to buy anything and I resisted until the last 2 days of my 3-week first time trip to Florence, but finally my grown daughter (just married on the same trip) begged for a leather bag and I gave in and started shopping at San Lorenzo only after I'd scoped out the truly expensive and classic leather goods at a store recommended by a Florentine friend. I decided I didn't want to pay 300+ Euros for their gorgeous merchandise;I wanted to pay less than 100 euros for two leather bags, so it was time for a last-day detour to San Lorenzo! We've lived in two middle eastern countries and have lots of Bangladeshi "second family" friends at home, so my husband and I decided to have some fun and "try our hand at the slots" so to speak, at the San Lorenzo leather stalls. Actually when the merchants in the stalls found out that we knew a little bit of some of the languages and customs they knew, we all enjoyed the game. The merchants were quite patient and friendly and had a convincing spiel about different qualities of different leathers. I knew enough to check out the seams and quality, and I'd seen what really good leather looked like. What I didn't know about different types of leathers the San Lorenzo merchants patiently told me. I tried to buy several types of wallets and purses, usually asking for a price for the lot. I went away one evening and found exactly the same merchant I wanted to buy from the next day (my last). Meanwhile my husband was joking around for several hours with the other merchants in the near vicinity, trading notes on his travels and theirs, and I heard everybody cutting up together. If I didn't like the price of one lot, I'd substitute. (OK, how about if I don't take one medium bag and three wallets, but instead take this big bag and that other smaller one...?) I kept changing my mind. When I finally got a reasonable price (at least to my mind), I'd say, "Well, that sounds good, but I have to check with my husband...Dear, ...??!..Oh, I'm afraid he is not looking very happy. I must make my husband happy. How can you make him look happy?" After about an hour and a half with the guys we'd talked to the day before and to whom we'd returned, I came out with a medium sized back pack sort of bag and a smaller,less intricate shoulder bag, softer, non-buffalo leather for somewhere around 80 Euros..or was it 150 Euros? Honestly, I can't' remember. A good time was had by all! Don't know if they won or we won, but we were all happy with one another, and after four months of carrying my leather bag daily (my daughter didn't like the style i'd picked out and surrendered it) it's holding up magnificently. I still love it, and my sister loves hers--a gift.Oh, and watching those stall keepers drag their carts into the market in the early mornings or home around midnight (as our BandB was right in their path), we developed a healthy respect for how hard they worked each day in a country and with people not their own and still managed to be polite and play the game.

4  Thank chaucerwoman