“The tour was a watered down version of what real Italian food is about.”
Review of Florence Food Tour

Florence Food Tour
Ranked #11 of 172 Food & Drink in Florence
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: FLORENCE FOOD TOUR provides a unique, memorable food and cultural experience. You will be guided by local folks with an unbelievable passion for food and for their city.Our mission is guarantee to all our customers Passion, Food, Wine and a Great Fun Experience
Reviewed 3 June 2013

My girlfriend and I were really excited about this tour since we instantly fell in love with Florence. Our first stop was at a coffee shop. I actually learned a few things about coffee and the owners passion was infectious. From there we went to a truffle shop where we were provided two bites of white truffles on bread and a very quick and hurried explanation of truffles. When i asked the guide about the nutritional qualities of truffles, she didn't properly respond. At this point, the tour took a turn for the worse when the guide asked a rather presumptuous question to my girlfriend about if it was a boy or a girl- she is not pregnant. An honest mistake, but not an appropriate question to ask in my mind. Then we had a wine tasting- I was given two small sips of white wine and before I even finished the second sip, the sommelier poured red wine right in the same glass, again about two sips worth. The food pairings were good, but again were very small. The trip to the market was interesting to see all the food and the locals, but the bread we were given tasted worse than Wonderbread and the zucchini flower risotto was good but not great. We then went for a cheese and oil tasting. The cheese was great, I love parmigiana Reggiano. The oil however was bitter and not flavorful at all. We had some more wine which was good and finished off with some vin santo with biscotti. I had never had vin santo but this stuff smelled and tasted like whiskey. I knew something was wrong when we went to dinner later that night and had some real vin santo that was sweet and perfectly complemented the biscotti. We had some sliced strawberries with balsamic vinegar, and I think the strawberries were more sour than the vinegar. We finally ended up at a Gelateria that was the highlight of the tour since the gelato was made from market fresh ingredients. All in all, the tour was not worth the money. The guide, while friendly, was not as informative as we would have liked. The itinerary was fine, but the food quality and information was not indicative of what a real Italian food tour should be.

2  Thank ajm721
Claudio C, Guest Relations Manager at Florence Food Tour, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2013

I am terribly sorry for the huge misunderstanding. The main reason your guide enquired about your wife ( presumed ) pregnancy is because she wanted to make sure you were aware that some tastings would have been not safe and appropriate for a pregnant woman. She was trying to take care of her... not wanting to offend her in any way. This misunderstand probably wrecked all the rest of the tour and this because your comments seem to be not in line with all our past costumers and even totally different compared to the customers that enjoyed the same tastings with you.

I really apologize on behalf of your tourguide but, again, our policy is to ensure at all times the well-being and the safety of what our customers taste. I really hope to have a second chance with you guys...

thanks for taking time in posting your review though... all points of view concerning our tours are always more than welcome!! MaRCo :

All reviews
in 7 reviews
"gelateria"
in 6 reviews

Reviewed 29 May 2013

Great tour and tour guide (Frederica). We tasted a variety of food and wine. I especially liked the coffee tasting. The coffee shop owner, Maximo, was very knowledgeable and shared two great coffees with the tour group. The road market in the center of town is a must see!! The variety of food there is incredible. This tour was a great start to our Florence vacation!

Review collected in partnership with this attraction
Claudio C, Guest Relations Manager at Florence Food Tour, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2013

I was very happy to know you enjoyed touring and tasting with me so much. It has been a real pleasure for me to meet you and really hope to have you back here in Firemze in the near future! bye bye for now... FedERIca (:

Reviewed 28 May 2013 via mobile

Thank you Isabella for showing us the food and wine delights of Florence .My taste buds have been heightened .Cheers from Dan and Mal Aussie Penguin Tour 2013

Date of experience: May 2013

the Aussie Penguin Tour strikes again! HHAHAH Thanks for joining us and be back soon on another mission!!! ciaooo IsaBElla

Reviewed 27 May 2013

We booked the Florence food tour before we left home based on the reviews. We were not disappointed. It was very well paced and very enjoyable. A wide variety of stops and our guide provided lots of inside information about the items we tried. Definitely worth doing while in Florence.

Review collected in partnership with this attraction

I am glad you managed to find space for all the food and drinks... (: be back soon and keep updated through our fb page for all the latest news from ItalySegwayTours! ciao ciao MaRCo (:

See more reviews
Reviewed 27 May 2013

thoroughly enjoyed the tour and wonderful foods got to sample
Our guide was extremely informative and a lot of fun
Its wonderful to be on tour with someone who is clearly passionate about what she is doing
We would highly recommend the tour !!
Not only did we experience wonderful foods we learned a lot about the amazing eating places available in Florence
We took Angela's advice and went to two of her suggested restaurants and were very happy we did as they were superb !!

Review collected in partnership with this attraction
Claudio C, Guest Relations Manager at Florence Food Tour, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2013

our food tasting tour is tailored on purpose to allow all a tasting experience paired with a cultural one. Food and wine are so related to town that we believe both must be enjoyed simultaneously... I am so very happy you enjoyed the tour together and thank you very much for finding time for posting this review! ciao from aNgeLA (: