All reviews olive groves renaissance villa overlooking florence swimming pool century tower antique furniture tower suite tuscan hills breakfast terrace walk into town cab ride modern amenities the hotel offers our honeymoon old world charming hotel pitti palace
Reviewed 20 October 2018

Bellosguardo is a unique combination of physical and architectural beauty, spectacular views, understated Tuscan style and charme, and history. Service is efficient but unpretentious; staff clearly take pride in the place and its surroundings, as they should, since this is indeed one of the most beautiful places in the world. I have stayed at Bellosguardo several times already, and cannot think of another hotel which I have enjoyed as much. The building, the rooms, the grounds and the gardens are all stunning. And Florence is an easy stroll down the hill. Pure class.

• Trip type: Travelled with family
Belflorence, Owner at Torre di Bellosguardo, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2018

Dear Guest,
You truly flatter us! Above all, it fills us with joy to know that you so appreciate and love Bellosguardo. We feel honoured to welcome you each time and hope that you feel totally at home here. Thank you so very much.

Reviewed 17 October 2018 via mobile

Torre di Bellosguardo is a gem perched above Florence, a reminder of the past yet affording all the modern amenities. The views over Florence are breathtaking, the Palazzo rife with period frescoes and furniture, the rooms large and comfortable, the breakfast plentiful and delicious. It is nestled in a quiet and delightful garden yet very accessible and only 10-15 mns to downtown Florence. We loved it and would highly recommend it!

Date of stay: October 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Belflorence, Owner at Torre di Bellosguardo, responded to this reviewResponded 18 October 2018

Dear Guest,
Your kind words are thoroughly appreciated. We are delighted that you had a restful and peaceful stay and enjoyed the silent beauty of our hotel. It will be a joy to welcome you back once more. Thank you.

Reviewed 13 October 2018

The Torre di Bellosquardo is an exquisitely preserved villa perched just above Florence. It has the most beautiful views of the city that i've ever seen, while still being located a lovely 20 minute walk into the center of town.

Being able to leave the crowded city center and retreat back to gorgeous gardens, a swimming pool, and lovely, calm rooms completely changed my experience of Florence. It was honestly difficult to leave the hotel grounds to go explore the city, as I felt like I had everything I wanted there. Every room has its own unique character and personality with exquisite furniture and architectural detail. The glass-enclosed patio full of lemon trees is one of the most beautiful and peaceful rooms i've ever seen, and perfect for reading a good book with a pot of tea.

One thing to note is the service-the hotel is very laid back and has minimal service. If you like to be left to your own devices-you will love this. If you like to have a lot of staff waiting on you hand and foot, as in many more mainstream luxury hotels, you may not. I personally loved this, as I hate feeling constantly checked-in on and bothered. The concierge was always present and willing to help with anything you might want, and I had everything I needed.

A personal thank you for such an incredible stay-I will never forget it and plan to return as soon as possible!

• Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank lcalari
Belflorence, Proprietario at Torre di Bellosguardo, responded to this reviewResponded 16 October 2018

Dear Guest,
Thank you from the bottom of our hearts for such a glowing review. You certainly understood the spirit of Bellosguardo.
For instance, we make a point of not being on the back of our guests, and yet providing round the clock service. We feel that this is the best way to ensure that everyone feels relaxed and at home.
Each year we carry out important improvements making extra sure, though, that the atmosphere remains intact.
We hope to be able to welcome you soon again.
Many, many thanks!

Reviewed 9 October 2018 via mobile

Tonight is my last night in Italy after a month of travelling around Tuscany and Umbria. I think a traveller's perceptions of hotels (as with many other things) are coloured by his or her moods, feelings and expectations and, of course, this all makes writing an honest and careful review a very personal expression. I have stayed in some 20 different hotels this trip of various different types from agritourismo to boutique. I have considerable travel experience all over the world.
I have given the beautiful, indeed, unmatched, Torre di Bellosguardo only an average rating because I think it fails on a simple, very basic level which ought not to be overlooked by even the most modest establishment. It is a factor which costs nothing (or next to nothing) to introduce but which is entirely absent here.
There is no doubt that Bellosguardo is a magnificent, exciting and romantic property in which to stay. The palazzo itself is genuine, manicured and well cared for, and is obviously made available with enormous pride to people like me who don't live in such grandeur and beauty every day. The gardens are delightful: they go on forever and there are so many little nooks and corners, each with a different character, in which one could spend weeks without getting bored. The pool is very large and scenically built so that you really have the entire view of Florence at your feet, literally. I had a lovely long swim this afternoon, and seemed to have the entire place blissfully to myself. The views, in every direction, are stupendous. It is difficult to tear oneself away from one's window. You have the ultimate "room with a view" which would surpass even E M Forster' s expectations!
The room I had (#5) was at least 80sqm in extent with a gorgeous four poster bed in old decorated wood and even an upholstered ceiling. There are two beautiful windows facing roughly north (the city, an unobstructed vista) and east (magnificent trees and garden terraces), respectively. My bathroom was sparkling white and very spacious; there are three beautiful old carpets on the old stone floor and some exquisite antiques.
I did not eat or drink anything on the property as it turned out, preferring to dine for two nights on the Piazza T. Tasso a short ride down the hill.
A good hotel, however, is more than just a property or a garden, or a view, or a collection of furniture and genuine antiques. It should also be a home, albeit a temporary one: travellers like to feel recognised and comfortable; not alien and invisible. This is not rocket science.
Torre di Bellosguardo, I regret to say, is sorely lacking on this score. There is a complete lack of any personal service, acknowledgment of the guest as a traveller, or indeed even the slightest touch of something evidencing any warmth. I could have been a ghost passing through, of which no doubt there are many here, or a patient in an institution. I am not talking about the tendency of some places to mollycoddle guests, to plan their trips for them and press recommendations which I abhor. I mean far simpler things: offer your guest on arrival (in my case a long and stressful drive - I am not the first, surely) a cup of tea or an aperitif. Put a small vase of fresh flowers in his room; just pick them from the garden! There is a refrigerator in my room. It is empty. There is a bottle of water on top of it, and that's all. At €300 per night (bed only), why are there no tea/coffee facilities in the room? This is standard, even in 3 star hotels.
Apart from a small pamphlet telling the guest a little about the house and gardens, there is absolutely NO practical information in the room about things which travellers would like typically to know. What restaurants are in the area? (When I asked the receptionist last night for a restaurant close by, he gave me a name and a map, and I ended up spending an hour on foot searching for it only to find it closed on that Monday night!) What are the parking facilities when driving into nearby squares to dine? Can one walk into town? What its the best route? How long? How steep? Only on my second day was I told there was a path to town through the olive grove and that my 50 minute walk on the narrow and winding descent this morning was therefore unnecessary. Where do I get pool towels from? I ended up using a bath towel.
This is not respectful of the practical needs of your guests, and for this failure, no matter how magnificent your palazzo, you deserve no more than 3 stars I'm afraid.
Other more minor complaints are that there is only a 'telephone' shower in my very narrow bath. How difficult is it to attach a bracket to the wall to hold the shower head? There is no curtain along the bathtub which is barely 30cm off the floor, resulting a flood whether I need a shower! The bidet is useless - unless you run a mini-bath in it. Why bother to have one at all?
I did come across a family of friendly cats in the garden which reminded me that I was made, after all, of flesh and blood and could be recognised as a human being.
If these complaints can be blamed on the end of the season, that is also no excuse. If you cannot service your clientele properly, better shut shop than risk your reputation.
So, all in all, a beautiful visual and tactile experience, but it left me cold and not a little frustrated, chiefly because to remedy the obvious problems and make it so much more welcoming and just EASIER for your guests would take so little effort or cost on the part of the owner. What a great pity.

Date of stay: October 2018
Trip type: Travelled solo
Belflorence, Owner at Torre di Bellosguardo, responded to this reviewResponded 10 October 2018

Dear Guest,
Your long and detailed review has taken us by surprise. If there is one thing we hold sacred it is to make our guests feel at home. We never give them the impression that our time is limited for them. But we do not force our presence upon them. The front desk is there for them and we go out of our way to provide any information they might require, even suggesting what dishes to order in any specific restaurant.Practically all our clients have appreciated this so much. On purpose, unlike many other establishments, we do not clutter the room with numerous booklets in an attempt to sell sell sell. The aim is to make a guest feel that the room is his/her home away from home.You mention bidets; by law hotels in Italy must have them. We are slowly converting most bathtubs into showers since clients seem to prefer the latter. Incidentally,the walk down to Porta Romana, the southern city gate, takes 15 minutes, not 50 as you state.
In any case, we hope you will return one day so that you can obtain a mine of information upon whatever topic you are interested in. Thank you.

Reviewed 5 October 2018 via mobile

We had a wonderful family stay in a suite within this amazing medieval villa. Staying outside the centre of Florence changes everything: you feel like you have a quiet and relaxing haven to retreat after battling the crazy traffic, overcrowded streets and packed museums. Of course there is a downside: it’s a half-hour walk into the centre, and a taxi ride back up the (steep) hill to the hotel, so it’s only worth doing if you have enough time in Florence that you don’t feel compelled to rush.

It’s important to understand that this hotel doesn’t offer luxury in the conventional “5-star international hotel” sense - for example, you won’t get modern furniture or fittings (the plumbing is from another era!), you won’t get bellboys or 24-hour room service, you won’t get reliable wifi, you’ll even struggle to find somewhere to charge your devices.

So why a 5-star review? Because the luxury here is in the amazing location and view. Every morning you wake up and see all of Florence spread beneath you in all its splendour (see attached photos from the front of the hotel and from our room). You can walk through the lovely gardens in total peace and seclusion, far from the mad but beautiful city below you. For us, this made our experience of Florence uniquely memorable and we would certainly choose to stay here again.

Trip type: Travelled with family
Belflorence, Owner at Torre di Bellosguardo, responded to this reviewResponded 6 October 2018

Dear Guest,
We are so happy that you and your family were able to relax and be imbued by the peace of Bellosguardo. Yes, Florence especially this year, has been so so crowded. We hope you return again so we can pamper you and your family. Thank you!