“Excellent service, poor to mediocre food”
Review of Osteria del Pavone

Osteria del Pavone
Ranked #13 of 3 045 Restaurants in Florence
Neighbourhood: Pitti
Neighbourhood: Pitti
Reviewed 11 October 2018

Had high expectations after reading reviews on TA and reserved a table for dinner.

Great atmospere in the restaurant, great reception and a very knowledgable and serviceminded sommelier/waiter.

Instead of the red wine I intended to order he convinced me to try a bottle of an orange wine from Umbria, A great, new experience. The taste, tannins and 'feeling' of a red wine, but with acid like a white wine. A vwery good recommendation.

For starters we had pasta with black truffles. It was as expected, Good, but not exceptional.

For mains we both ordered carre of deer with mashed potatoes, sweet and sour onion and blueberry sauce. One cooked medium and one medium+

What arrived was definately not a carre, but rather slices of steak with lots of strings/films. It was thus quite chevy and not very tasty either.
Both were cooked too much and were well done.
I guess I should have complained, but I did not...

The blueberry sauce was very sweet and of course so was the the sweet (caramellized) onion. The dish screamed out for some acidity to balance this, and perhaps if the sour onions (I assume they would have been pickled) promised in the menus had been present on our plates that would have helped...
As they were not, the dish was a train wreck alsomfrom a balance point of view.

We did not have dessert.
The price level is higher than most other places in town.

All in all the restaurant failed to deliver on the most important element, -the food, so I will not recommend a visit and I would not go back myself either despite the good service and nice atmosphere.

1  Thank Vidar F

Reviewed 11 October 2018 via mobile

Our hotel recommended this restaurant and it was outstanding! Small, intimate, off the beaten path. Not touristy. Great wine list, outstanding selection on the menu. Overall, the evening couldn’t have been better. Would highly recommend for dinner!!

Reviewed 7 October 2018 via mobile

We were lucky enough to find this place. Originally tried our luck to go to the original restaurant, Chianghale. Fortunately, that place was absolutely packed, but the owner was amazingly so sweet to let us in and guided us through a kitchen and behind these doors laid an amazing sister-joint restaurant. The new extended restaurant is just romantic and perfect for date night! Beautiful ceilings and staff dressed so smartly and absolutely welcoming - felt like you were the most important person in the room! The food is just mouth watering - the truffle pasta & wild boar was exquisite! The tiramisu wowwwwwwww! Perfect night out

Reviewed 2 October 2018

I keep a running list of the best meals/experiences I've had while on holiday, and Osteria del Pavone easily makes the top 5. The service, the ambience, the FOOD! Loved all of it.

The sommelier was also our server. He was lovely, and charming and selected an excellent bottle of wine for us. They focus on natural and organic wines, and it's an impressive selection. I love his quote on the wine list "The nice thing about wine is that, for two hours, your problems are someone else's." With a great bottle of wine, oh so true!

And the food... amazing! We had the risotto with foie gras, the beef stew and the steak tartare. Which was seriously the best tartare I've ever had. The chef came out and made it tableside. Which was a fun experience itself - he's lovely!

Make a reservation and enjoy the experience! I hope to get back someday.

Reviewed 2 October 2018

From greeting to Lemonchelo Osteria del Pavone deserves your full attention. The host, the sommelier, chef and service staff aim to please in this hidden gem yearning to please the most discerning palate. If you’re in Florence run (don’t walk) to experience this culinary adventure which truly delights the senses.

Signed,