“Excellent steak-good value”

Cuisines: Italian, Steakhouse, Soups
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Uffizi
Description: The "Grotta Guelfa" is a necessary stop for those who are passionate about good food and love the most authentic dishes. They are dishes that remain tied to tradition and their territory but, at the same time, do not turn away from new tastes. Patrons can have their dinner in the cosy and small lounge or in the wide porch with air conditioning and lively decoration, accessible year-round. The restaurant is located near the old "Palagio dei Capitani di Parte Guelfa". From this corner of Florence, famous for its typical medieval structure, it is possible to start an amazing tour among the artistic beauties of the city.
Reviewed 28 June 2018 via mobile

Our family of 5 had a great meal there. The steak special was outstanding. My husband enjoyed his salmon and we had a nice salad. The waiter was friendly and attentive. We ate outside on a quiet street corner. We wish we had another night do we could go back.

Write a ReviewReviews (1 542)

11 - 15 of 1 542 reviews

Reviewed 26 June 2018

The kind of touristy place where people come, people go, and the staff is not really interested in making the experience interesting. I give you food, you give me money, that's about it.
We waited quite a long time to be given the menus, and also for the food. The place wasn't even busy as there was 4 other people sitting outside, and from what I could see inside it was almost empty. Waitstaff could have been friendlier and more welcoming. The food was good, I had bruschetta and lasagne, but it was probably too expensive for what it was.

Reviewed 16 June 2018

If I could give them a zero rating on this site, I would. We ate here our first night in Florence, and went back two days later for an early evening drink. We sat on the private patio next to the front door, behind the fence -- we were the only ones on the patio at the time, aside from the waiters and other staff. When they delivered our drinks -- Aperol Spritzes, the same as we had had previously and a well-known drink across Italy -- we discovered they were made wrong and tasted quite bitter and flat. When we spoke to the waiter, he quickly took the drinks back in a flurry of activity -- and a few minutes later, I realized my purse was missing. THIS WAS AN INSIDE JOB. There was no one else on the patio, and we suspect the drinks were made incorrectly on purpose to cause a distraction. The staff essentially shrugged it off, and told us I would have to go to the station to report it -- they would not call the police to the restaurant and were generally unhelpful and went about their business, refusing to talk to staff about the obviously coordinated theft. I tracked my phone a few blocks away to an underground street dumpster, irretrievable (probably with everything else in my purse once they took the cash). I had to spend the evening filing police reports and the next day at the Consulate for a new passport. I cannot emphasize this enough - go here at YOUR OWN RISK. I am not an easy target and have traveled in Italy before, without incident. BEWARE AND AVOID THIS PLACE.

1  Thank Nicole F
Reviewed 15 June 2018 via mobile

We were in Florence for twenty-five days and ate out every day, sometimes twice - and this was one of the few restaurants we patronized twice! The location is great - very central but tucked away enough to be a little more quiet. The service both times was VERY friendly and good. This is a little odd, but what drew me back was the best spinach (seasonal) I’d ever had, with garlic and a little red pepper in a copious serving. I also had a great baked pasta in a parmesan shell. Everyone was really happy with their meals each time - two different couples with my husband and me - so six people all together thought the restaurant was great. The staff remembered my husband and me and gave us a little gift as we left, a small tin of olive oil. How nice is that, when there are a zillion tourists in the town?!

Reviewed 10 June 2018 via mobile

The food was great but the service has a really long way to go. We spent over an hour waiting for our food, and that was just the first course . One waitress spoke perfect English only when she felt like it and at other times, she understood zero English.

With a little more professionalism, this restaurant could do a whole lot better.