All reviews santa maria del giglio beautiful church great location giglio vaporetto stop minute walk quiet square orange line grand canal lovely terrace single room lovely hotel st mark's square marks square water taxi rooms are small quiet at night croissants
Reviewed 4 June 2016

Near all the sites, 5 minute walk to Grand Canal and the Giglio vaporetto water ferry stop, also the Alilaguna line direct to airport. Most convenient. Near San Marco but the San Giglio square is relatively quiet during the day and very calm in the evening. San Marco, Opera House, and plenty of restaurants nearby. Pleasant service at restaurant and reception. Breakfast OK, coffee indifferent. We booked the Superior room, directly with the hotel, as it is not available through Booking.com etc. Advance booking gave us an excellent price. Superior room is a good size, some other rooms are small as in many small Venetian hotels. The hotel has an elevator. Would come again!!

Room tip: We booked the Superior room, good size, excellent view over the square, v. comfortable.
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
2  Thank MOTZA
Reviewed 27 May 2016

I couldn't have chosen a better place to stay as a single woman traveling in Venice. The location is fantastic--very close to a water taxi stop and a short walk from Piazza San Marco, which was helpful for navigating. The hotel also has their own entrance right on to a canal, so water taxis can arrive right at the door.

The room was gorgeous and decorated with lovely antique furniture, including a chandelier of Murano glass, but what really set this hotel apart was the service.

After handing you your key for the first time, the men who work there remember your room number without you needing to remind them, which I thought was incredible. When a tour group stood me up on my birthday, Michele Olivo at the front desk went above and beyond for me, helping me make other arrangements and saving the day.

If I ever return to Venice, and I hope I do, I will definitely stay at this hotel again, but next time I will ask the staff's help with any tours or excursions. They have connections that make their guests' lives so much easier.

What a lovely experience. I was sad to leave. One small quibble--I didn't get the room with a bath tub, as requested when I booked.

• Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 26 May 2016

A longed for visit as a gift from my daughter, the hotel was ideal. The room was typical Venetian, with wonderful fabric wallpaper and glass chandelier. It was very clean and comfortable, although it was so close to the centre we were only disturbed by ringing bells, great stuff! The staff were extremely polite and friendly, and remembered which room we were in straight away. The breakfast had everything we could have wanted.... and more! I would thoroughly recommend this hotel.

• Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 26 May 2016

Great location and easily accessible for water buses and first stop for return airport water bus which gets very busy and misses later stops if full. Friendly enough staff. Disappointing bar closes at 10 pm so couldn't get a night cap or hot drink when we got back from evening meal/ walk. For ladies with long hair would suggest taking own hair dryer....the hotels is positioned in small bathroom, awkward to use and bathroom hot and steamy (obviously) after shower so takes forever! All in all pretty good.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 May 2016

Situated in the Santa Maria del Giglio square, this a gem of a location and with it's own outlook on to the square. Visited this hotel 3 years ago and the staff were as attentive as ever. Have a drink at the tables outside and watch the world go by, especially on opera nights when the patrons pass by in their finery on the way to the opera house, just around the corner. The breakfast has a full range of cold meats, cheeses, cereals and a selection of hot food. Our room was just the right size, rooms in Venice tend to be small unless you pay a fortune.

Room tip: There are rooms overlooking the square, or on this occasion we were overlooking the central courtyard. Both were nicely situated.
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple