All reviews great hosts friendly family run b b nearby metro room was clean gave us a map hotel is located nicola neighborhood euro
Reviewed 2 October 2017

A budget friendly hotel just outside the main city centre. A couple of minutes walk will have you at the metro which is easy to get around on. This family run hotel is clean warm and very relaxing, Matteo is such a fantastic host and does Italy proud in what he does.
I was on a visit to Milan for a Radiohead concert with my partner and this hotel provided us with the perfect base for the weekend in Milan, Matteo gave a map and basically highlighted all that was worth checking out on our brief visit, It worked out perfect. We've promised to come back to have a more comprehensive tour of the city and we already know where we are gonna stay.

Date of stay: June 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Patrick L
Reviewed 22 September 2017

This is definitely a unique, quaint little hotel, situated in a high rise residential neighborhood in the northern part of Milan, One could easily bypass the rust-covered facade on the street with very little to identify that a hotel is located there, save for the sunflower motif on the wall (Il Girasole is Italian for the Sunflower).

The hotel is a family-run enterprise, with the brothers Nicola and Matteo doing most of the work. It seems that the hotel is a converted bicycle factory, and there are pictures on the wall showing the very impressive conversion to a hotel over the past 20 years or so. Matteo set me down at arrival and ran me though the entire setting of Milan. Very helpful. The room was clean, comfortable and quiet, albeit a bit cramped for a twin bed setup. The breakfast was adequate, although not spectacular. While I did not take advantage of the nearby metro, I am told that it is only 20 minutes to downtown. A daily metro ticket costs about 4.5 Euro.

Restaurant options in the neighborhood are a bit limited, with sometimes unpredictable hours (especially on Sunday). I would think the best food strategy would be to eat downtown for lunch and dinner, or perhaps take advantage of one of the numerous "happy hour" places downtown, which I am told have very substantial offerings for a reasonable price.

I think the best thing about the hotel is the personal service that Matteo and Nicola render. It was very helpful to me, being a first time visitor to Milan. I'd definitely consider staying here again.

Room tip: Can't say much about this. My room was perfectly acceptable, but can't comment on the others since I didn't see them.
Date of stay: September 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank 107Rutland
Reviewed 7 September 2017

This small boutique hotel has many attributes including the welcoming owner, just 3 min walk from the underground (then 20 mins to Cathedral), a great triple room which has a separate alcove for our teenager and a generally comfortable/clean room. It was a little difficult to find and if driving I would recommend booking a parking place (there are only about 4) as otherwise you are looking for on street parking. The only other small concern which means Il Girasole fell short of excellent was the slightly delayed, but very nice breakfast which was a little frustrating as we were heading south on a busy Saturday.

Date of stay: July 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank SimonF64
Reviewed 13 July 2017

We were Mum & Dad and daughter visiting Milan for the first time. Opted for 3 night at Il Girasole on the way back from the lakes. Il Girasole is a small and friendly family run B&B/small hotel. One of the owners is Matteo, who is very friendly and helpful - gave us great advice on what to see and where to go. Its a safe and secure little hotel, tucked away with its own courtyard in a residential part of Milan. With the personal, service It was so much better than the budget hotel chains around. Another plus point is the proximity to the subway. Ticket purchase is easy - and a 4.5 euro ticket does you all day. Milan has some amazing sights - a bit grubby in some areas - the kids seem to spray can anything which doesn't move. Felt safe enough though and as I've said, nice to get back to a friendly family run hotel in the evening.

Date of stay: July 2017
Reviewed 30 December 2016

I knew when I booked this that it was a little out of town. I got nervous when the taxi driver said, “Wow, you are really far out of town.” But my worry was for nothing. The city center was very easily accessible (and about 10 min) by the subway which was a short walk away. The staff was super friendly, very helpful and made an extra effort to make our 10th anniversary special. The outdoor area was lovely and made for an enjoyable evening outside enjoying some vino. The room was very spacious, clean & comfortable. We only stayed one night in Milan but ended up liking it very much. When we return, we will probably stay at Il Girasole again.

Date of stay: October 2016