“local cuisine with a light touch”
Review of La Porta Accanto

La Porta Accanto
Ranked #51 of 458 Restaurants in Mantua
Price range: US$9 - US$19
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Description: It's an annexe of the Aquila Nigra. The name is a warranty anyway, but it is also a clear and direct description of the location, next to the main restaurant and communicating with it. The two restaurants share the same entrance, but their styles are completely different. Andrea considers this place as something different, it's not a satellite of the Aquila Nigra. The Porta Accanto is a more informal and easy way of experiencing the food and the conviviality. It has the same Renaissance style and atmosphere but with a modern touch to make you feel at ease.
Reviewed 19 May 2016

modern and elegant, in its simplicity, restaurant with very attentive and friendly staff.
Specialties of the local cuisine, but treated witha light hand.
ravioli di zucca, luccio, gnocchi, insalata di finocchi-aneto-arane-stracciatella were superb. Excellent wine list

Reviewed 3 April 2016 via mobile

Location is fantastic, just few steps from Sordello square.
Ambience is nice, however very simple and not so rich.
Menu selection is very tipical, however all meat based, an no English language.
Food quality is good.
Service is very good.
Dinner price is about 50 Euros per person.

Reviewed 31 March 2016 via mobile

Causy little street at the older part of Mantova. Little restaurant with a good service and delicious food. I had "carciofi in casseruola" as a starter from side dishes menu which was very tasty and then had "coniglio" as main course which was a perfect choice. Not to forget the great Tuscan red wine Tignanello!

Reviewed 1 March 2016

Seems to me like this place is resting on the laurels of the next door restaurant a bit too much. It was .... nice? Fine? I don't know, something was lacking. Good charcuterie, and very nice pumpkin ravioli (local dish). But the other dishes were badly conceived and disappointing, in particular the cod and artichoke, which was a dish entirely consisting of fried food!

Would not go back if I had the chance to visit lovely Mantua again, it's not a bad restaurant but there are many other places to try.

Reviewed 11 December 2015 via mobile

I came in literally at closing. The courteous waiter informed me of it but said they would serve me notwithstanding.

I ordered all my courses at once.

While he was hurried with his duties, I noticed he still did everything so as not to rush me. When he approached the table he was as calm and mannered as probably during any other time.

He had a slight accent, and was delightfully proper, without ever being affected or distant.

The food was splendid. The zucca ravioli were delightful, and the salad with the rabbit was delicious. Dessert was superb. And he chose an excellent wine for me.

At the end, although I didn't know it, the crew was literally waiting for me to leave before opening the windows (it was cold outside) in order to install the Christmas decorations.

I was never told this, however -- I was never kicked out. I was never rushed. I was never handed a check without my asking.

Splendid splendid service.