See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 18 September 2016

You rent the entire second floor of the pictured villa with a balcony across the back end with a view of Lake Como that could not be beat. With the kitchen and three bedrooms it was a delightful home for four nights that seemed to stretch into a relaxing forever as our pulses settled down into a vacation pace.
The furnishings are classic old pieces with a large dining table that allowed us to all group on the side with the view across the lake through the french doors.
Wifi was a bit spotty, and there are evenings when you get a lot of noise from children and cafes on the piazza. You need to also consider whether or not you find the 7:00 am bells from S. Giorgio charming (as I did) or an early bother. No laundry in the Villa, but there is a wonderful shop that takes it in about 100-200 yards away.
It was a very homey place to stay - if only your home had a magnificent view of Lake Como and we would gladly return.
Varenna is small enough to keep you convenient to all of it from any spot in town, but with the space, the kitchen, the views and the easy access to the only two groceries in town Villa Elena is my perfect spot.

Room Tip: Bedroom closest to Piazza S. Giorgio is the noisiest
  • Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 September 2015

To endorse previous reviews, the pros are the view, the central location, and the redoubtable Signora Seta - and that's it. The grandeur is much more faded than grand. For six adults plus maybe small children, one grubby, tired bathroom with dripping taps and no cold water is unacceptable. The kitchen offers either hot or cold water but not both, there's no oven nor microwave, and the broken, rusty cafetieres should have been ditched years ago. There are no laundry facilities (washing machine, iron, etc), and most of the electric sockets don't work. This could be a fabulous let, but as it is it's way overpriced and the standard of presentation (carpets not hoovered etc) and of the fittings etc is, for the 21st century, simply unacceptable.

• Stayed: September 2015, travelled with family
2  Thank Tim M
Reviewed 8 August 2015 via mobile

We booked the Villa via Flipkey originally for our family of 6 (adults). The Villa accommodation is the upstairs of a very old house with the owner ( pleasant 94 year old lady) living downstairs.

The rental appears to be managed by a local Estate Agency. When we originally booked via Flipkey we got an email to say that there was a mistake in the listing & that we should pay extra cash when we arrived. We contacted Flipkey & they said the price we booked was the price we had to pay. Luckily when we arrived & were met by Laura, the letting agent, there was no further mention of "cash payment". She was lovely & very helpful.

Pro's: stunning views, central location, roomy, clean linen

Con's: health & safety nightmare! Definitely not suitable for children - balcony rails unstable; no entertainment facilities (no TV/radio) scalding hot water; antique chairs lovely but unstable; dirty carpets; no air conditioning, noisy bar next door; only 1 key to our apartment: two outer doors to be locked each time we exited; no microwave or oven ( just a kettle & gas hob); only two sockets in the whole place able to take European adapters; electrical sockets looked very frail & dangerous; lack of total privacy, 2 cats fond of bringing home the local wildlife!

The Villa could be very good with a total refurb - however if you have small children it is a definite NO NO. There are accidents or tragedy waiting to happen here.

Stayed: August 2015, travelled with family
2  Thank Catherine O
Reviewed 22 May 2015 via mobile

Pros: This place is in the middle of Varenna and has a beautiful view of Lake Como. The owner, Signora Seta is very sweet and gets around great for a 94 year old woman.

Cons: There is a hot water heater in the shower. First of all water + electrical appliances = bad news. The heater wasn't turned on when we first got there so our first shower was very cold. Second the carpets were very dirty and the curtains were very dusty. My allergies went haywire. Third, the beds are literally a thin mattress on metal springs so they were very uncomfortable. Then there's the bathroom sink. That think was next to impossible to turn off and the cold water side came out as a trickle. The hot water side was scalding hot. And it's hard to get the water completely turned off. Finally I come to the electricity. It is very easy to blow the fuse and cause the whole house to go dark. Also there is no AC just heat.

When I booked Villa Elena, they did not mention thar the apartment is on the second floor of Signora Seta's house, so I found out when I walked in that I had a housemate. Shes wonderful, but I like my privacy. She also has two cats which I didn't know about. I have allergy problems and they did not make my allergies any better. The rental agents mentioned that I could use the laundry machine in Signora Seta's house when I booked the apartment. Signora Seta at first agreed but later told me to use the laundromat down the street and the rental agents told me to do the same even though they all previously agreed that I could use her machine.

Signora Seta was a very nice otherwise, but I would not go back.

Stayed: May 2015, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 February 2014

I have stayed in Villa Elena before and I found it a great place, as per my previous review. The Villa is however property of a very old lady that lives there.

Unfortunately, after coming back this summer, we found the old lady to be a bit too old to be a host.

The Venue is nice, but it is almost impossible to stay due to this woman.

It has not been a pleasant stay, as we have been continiously bothered for no apparent reason.

I kindly suggest to choose a different stay. Sorry to say, but when you are too old, it is best to retire.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends