“Superb seafood restaurant in a down to earth, buzzing area of Rome”
Review of Piccolo Molise

Piccolo Molise
Ranked #5 724 of 13 754 Restaurants in Rome
Neighbourhood: San Lorenzo
Neighbourhood: San Lorenzo
Reviewed 4 January 2017

I happened upon Piccolo Molise while checking out the area from my apartment nearby. I ended up eating here twice as the food was so good first time. In fact I remember thinking to myself as I polished off my Lobster Linguini that it was the best Italian meal I'd ever eaten and, with the octopus salad starter and very palatable bottle of house white, came in at an incredibly reasonable €25

So impressed was I that I was back again the following night for more of the same. Truth to tell I should've chosen something different as it wasn't quite as good second time around but it was still pretty damn good!

Luckily for me with my embarrassingly poor Italian I received very good service by an Irish lady who'd worked there many years.

A great find!

Reviewed 11 January 2016

This is a fish restaurant that will also accomadate you even you are not a fish eater.
They have a good variety of fresh fish.

Reviewed 5 November 2015

My wife and I found this restaurant by chance. It's not easy to find and from the outside does not provide a clue about the inside. When we peaked into the door we saw a big hall and what appeared to be a private Italian party going on inside. Glad we were curious enough to step in as it was a local restaurant with a full Italian clientele, a lot of large groups, having a great time (they were pretty loud so we assumed they were having a good time). It's pretty old inside and has a diner like feel. Felt completely different than the other restaurants we had been to in Venice and Rome. My title above reflects this lack of tourists not people as it was packed. Service was excellent and our staff did speak English, that was a surprise as we were mentally prepared in case they did not. We chose the €40 meal for two, I believe it was 4 courses, and turned out to be great value. Mostly seafood items as that is their specialty. House wine was delicious and very reasonably priced. I would seek out this place on our next visit to Rome.

Reviewed 24 May 2015

This is a little gem of a restaurant away from the hustle and bustle of the city centre. We sat outside watching the world go by whilst quaffing a bottle of the house wine (€7)
Our starter of battered vegetables was tasty but the batter a little under cooked, this was followed by the oven baked turbot which was served on a large platter surround with potatoes cooked in garlic, chilli and rosemary. It was truly scrumptious.
We both finished off with chocolate tartufo, again really good with the chocolate soft centre.
In all the total for three courses, water and wine came to €58 or about £45
If in Rome try to seek out this restaurant.

1  Thank Food4pleasure
Reviewed 29 April 2015

San Lorenzo is, though near to Termini, a real authentic querter of Rome where you hear just Italian. The area bustles with cheap pizzerias but a specialised restaurant like this is quite rare, any way in Rome. So fish lovers up to Piccolo Molise. Really fresh fish is the thing here and the nice prices as well.. Our favorite is the turbot with potatoes in the oven. And as a starter the squid.
Wine is cheap, so waiting no problem. The service could be nicer like everywhere in Rome. Pity the skipped some wines on their list since 2013 when I was here twice. Next time I sure go again.

1  Thank Kees V

Been to Piccolo Molise? Share your experiences!