“Just one of the many restaurants on Borgo Pio”

Ristorante Venerina
Ranked #5 109 of 13 954 Restaurants in Rome
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Vatican / Borgo
Reviewed 29 October 2018

The only thing that made our visit to Venerina worth the while was the kind waitress.

Food was terribly tasteless, and it took long time to get the food. Ended up asking for salt and pepper, and putting some of the parmesan cheese left from appetizers on top of the pasta. Then it tasted at least something..

Never again.

Reviewed 29 October 2018

Writing a negative review is never pleasant, since I know that it is seen world-wide & might affect the business of the establishment being reviewed. However, in this case I feel that the criticisms are warranted. My experience as described here was as a member of a tour group. Perhaps if we'd come as individuals it would have been different, but here goes:

We were all seated & left at our tables for about 20 minutes with only water & bread on the tables & no communication with staff. Across from us, tables were set, apparently for another group, with lovely-looking bruschetta, which we gazed at longingly. Finally servers came around with large bowls full of something white & mushy & proceeded to sling spoonfuls onto our plates like slopping hogs. Turns out it was nasty-tasting risotto, which most of us left barely touched. Next course was mushy carrot & zucchini with a tough grayish piece of unidentifiable meat. Again, the service was dreadful. The dessert of ice cream was okay.

I understand that we had no control over the food choices since they were determined by the tour group management. However, the quality & service are definitely the responsibility of the staff, & they failed. If someone from the restaurant responds, I hope it's in English so that I, can other viewers, can understand it.

Reviewed 25 October 2018 via mobile

The lady who welcomed me to sit down was very helpful with all of the customers. She talked to all of the diners and made them feel welcome.
The food was excellent. I started with tonnarelli cacio e pepe and followed that with Saltimbocca allá Romana. On of the best meals that I had in Rome this trip.

Reviewed 23 October 2018 via mobile

I so enjoyed the fresh mozzarella and ham starter. My 2nd course was a fettuccini with porcini mushrooms, not fresh but canned. Since it is porcini season I assumed fresh mushrooms, but not. My cousin ordered a pizza that was fresh with spicy salami. It was tasty. We proceeded to pay separately on credit cards and my 2 plates went up by 7 euros and hers by 5 euros. So the waiter got an extra 12 euros for splitting the bill....wrong.

Reviewed 17 October 2018 via mobile

We went there for a lunch before visiting the Vatican and we had the most obnoxious rude waiter I have ever experienced .
Very inattentive and constantly barraging us with rude remarks .
Don't waste your time on this restaurant as there are so many other places to eat around the Vatican !!'